See Here for First Review: Armstrong Clark Stain Review
Armstrong Clark Wood Stain is an oil-based stain backed by 5 generations of experience in the exterior wood stain industry. Armstrong Clark is offered in 3 different versions: Trans parents, Semi-Transparent, and Semi-Solid Colors.
Armstrong’s has nondrying conditioning oils that separate from the drying side of the formula. These oils penetrate deep into the wood fiber where the wood’s natural oils used to be.
This process rejuvenates the wood. The drying oils stay at the surface, lock in the conditioning oils and create a dry to the touch barrier. Armstrong’s formulas also contain vegetable oils, transparent oxide pigments, water repellents, mildecide and solvent.
Armstrong Clark Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 9
– We used the Rustic Brown color for our deck deck. We have used this color many times and really like the look of this. It is mostly brown with a hint of red when applied. Very even appearance after full drying.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 7
– We used a semi-transparent color for our second test of the Armstrong Clark. The first test (2010) we used the Mountain Cedar which is a semi-solid color. The Rustic Brown did well but the UV protection was a little less. This is normal for as semi-solid color to have better UV protection and is not related to the Armstrong.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 9
– The Armstrong Clark showed no signs of peeling. Slight wearing in the high traffic areas. Overall AC penetrates deep into the wood grain so peeling was not expected.
Cost Per Square Foot: 9
– Armstrong Clark sells at $36.99 for semi-transparent colors. The coverage rate for AC is better then most brands. We used two gallons for 2 coats on the 300 sq. foot deck. AC suggests only one coat but we like to apply two coats to older decking.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 7
– We had minor issues with black mold on the stain. This was mostly on the top of the bench surrounding the deck.
Ease of Application: 9
– We love the way that the Armstrong applies. Being that it is a hybrid of both curing and non drying oils, it is easier then most for application. In general the easiest stains to apply will be the ones that contain all non-drying oils. The issue we have found is that these stains types (Ready Seal and Timber Oil Brand) will not fully dry or cure at the surface resulting in a non seal of the exposed wood. We tested our application at 90 degrees in full sun and it still dried evenly. We used a deck stain pad for application.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 8
– The AC does not darken in color from UV. It fades through the years. Only darkening was the small amount of mold on the bench.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– Cleaning with a deck cleaner and light pressure washing will be all that is needed for another coat.
Overall Score Armstrong Clark Stain at 2 Year Period: 8.25
– Armstrong Clark has been one of our tops stains to apply for the past 6 years. We really enjoy the way it applies and the ease of replication. Coverage rate is excellent as well. Our customers who have tried the Armstrong Clark have stayed with the brand when it was time to reapply.
More Info: Armstrong Clark Stain
Cost: $36.99 per Gallon, $199.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Transparent, Semi-Transparent, Semi-Solid – Oil-Based
Available Colors: Transparent Natural, Transparent Cedar, Transparent Redwood, Semi-Trans Cedar, Semi-Trans Rustic Brown, Semi-Trans Sierra Redwood, Semi-Trans Amber, Semi-Trans Mahogany, Semi-Solid Mountain Cedar, Semi-Solid Woodland Brown, Semi-Solid Oxford Brown, Semi-Solid Sequoia
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 1 Coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-250 sq. ft
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 4-12 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in All 50 States
More Info: Product Data
Manufacturer: Armstrong Clark
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: April 2012. Completed 2014
Deck Wood Type: Cedar Decking
Deck Square Footage: 300
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Semi-Transparent Rustic Brown
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.