Bring new life to old wood and concrete surfaces with BEHR PREMIUM DECKOVER. This 100% acrylic formula conceals cracks and splinters up to 1/4″, and creates a smooth, slip-resistant finish that also resists cracking and peeling. It’s available in 54 solid custom colors, and is also great for decks, railings, patios, composite decks, pool decks and walkways.
Recommended for properly prepared exterior weathered or cracked horizontal and vertical wood and composite surfaces such as Decks, Railings, Porches and Boat Docks. Also great for concrete surfaces such as Pool Decks, Patios and Sidewalks. Do not use on drivable surfaces such as garage floors and driveways.Behr Deckover Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 4
– Behr applies like a thick paint and helps to fill cracks and conceal splinters. It looks like a paint, not like a deck stain. Our customer complained about dirty foot prints always showing up on the deck. Had to scrub to remove.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 10
– Excellent UV protection from graying in the areas that were not peeling.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 4
– One Winter and the Deckover was peeling heavily. We prepped according to manufacturer directions so we know that was not the problem. In general we have found that all Behr stains have a tendency to peel, especially after a Winter in a cold weather state.
Cost Per Square Foot: 1
– Not good. Behr says 75 sq. per gallon and that is very generous. We used 8 gallons for the 400 sq. foot deck. First coat applied at about 50 sq. feet and the second coat applied at 75 sq. feet per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 10
– No Mold or Algae were on the deck stain after 1+ year.
Ease of Application: 2
– Very difficult to apply. We applied with a brush and roller. Needed to back brush numerous times to get the stain to fill into the cracks. We had numerous drips between the deck boards showing.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 10
– Did not darken or attract dirt.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 1
– This would be tough to fix and may not be worth it to recoat with the same product. You would have to scrape and sand all loose stain before reapplication. If you wanted to change brands, you would need to sand the entire deck to remove as the Behr deckover will not strip off with a conventional deck stripper remover.
Overall Score Behr Deckover at 2 Year Period: 5.5
– If you took away the UV protection of being a solid stain product, this products ratings would be much less. There are numerous complaints on the internet about the Behr Deckover. Use at your own risk as there is a good chance it will peel and create a huge mess for you to fix.
Where To Buy: Home Depot
Cost: $35 per Gallon
Stain Type: Acrylic Solid Stain – Water Based
Available Colors: 54 Custom colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats.
Coverage Per Gallon: 75 sq. ft per gallon. Need 2 coats for best performance.
Application Tools: Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 8-24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: 2013
Deck Wood Type: Untreated Pressure Treated Pine Dock
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 1 Years. Peeled after first Winter
Stain Color Used: Cedar tinted
Update Spring of 2016
Please read our article on Gulf Synthetics Deck Revive Review 2015 We believe this product has real value if looking for these product types that actually work.
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.