See Here for 2010: Behr Deck Stain Review
BEHR’s best semi-transparent product, this advanced 100% acrylic formula penetrates deep into wood to deliver complete protection from the elements for up to 6 years on decks and 8 years on fences and siding. The silicone-fortified formula delivers excellent protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Wood Stain is available in 60 custom colors that add beauty while allowing the natural wood grain to show through. The alkyd/acrylic formula combines the benefits of an oil-based finish and the convenient cleanup of a water-based product.
Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 2
- The application of the Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain was a repeat from our first test. We found that the Behr does not penetrate into the wood like the product claims it should. It dries on top of the surface like a paint. It had the look of a semi-solid with much of the wood grain masked by the pigment. The Cedar color on the deck made it look like a pumpkin.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 8
- The one positive about the Behr is that it has excellent UV protection in the areas where the stain had not failed. Unfortunately this was only half of the deck floor and most of the railings.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 1
- The cedar porch was “Behr” of stain on more then half of the flooring. The stain had peeled or worn in large uneven patches. Vertical rails did not have any issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 4
- Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain costs $39 per gallon. We used 5 gallons for the 300 square feet for the 2 coats applied.
$.55 per foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 7
- Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain had some mold growing on the flooring near the home and on top of the rail cap.
Ease of Application: 2
- Applying the Behr Premium Stain is like painting your deck except it does not apply evenly. We have stained 1000′s of decks and have never found a stain to be more difficult to apply then Behr. It dries extremely fast and will show overlaps if not careful. We used a paint brush and hand applied the stain to the entire deck as that seemed to give the best results.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 8
- Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain does not darken in color much or at all.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 2
- This is how we fixed the Behr Premium Wood Stain. We applied a heavy dose of the Behr Stain Remover and tired to pressure wash off the remaining stain. It did not work. We then used the RAD Stain Stripper at a very high concentration and repeated. This removed about 85% of the stain. We were left sanding off the rest then cleaning and brightening the wood to even out the porosity of the wood. Prepping took 12 hours and needless to say, the customer switched brands.
Overall Score Defy Extreme Stain at 2 Year Period: 4.625
- Rated #1 By Consumers. Not sure why and feedback from most of our users agree. Consumers own website has a user rating of 1 out of 5 stars. Thirteen out of the 14 reviews from actual users gave it a 1 star.
This stain should be removed from sale to the public.
Where To Buy: Home Depot
Cost: $36.99 per Gallon, $169.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Premium Semi-Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: 60 custom colors
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 125-150 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 1-2 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Test Deck Stats:
Location of Deck: Indiana
When Tested: Spring 2010-Spring 2012
Deck Wood Type: Cedar Porch
Deck Square Footage: 300 Square Feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our hands on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Disgruntled Behr Customer