Important Note: This is our 2nd Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. See our first review here: Benjamin Moore Arborcoat
ARBORCOAT Premium Exterior Stains offer a variety of opacities in an array of captivating colors that let you express your own unique style. These finishes are designed to enhance the appearance of your deck, siding, or outdoor wood furniture with outstanding color retention. All ARBORCOAT finishes are easy to apply and offer superior protection while enriching the texture and grain of exterior wood surfaces.
Benjamin Moore’s Arborcoat Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 5
– Similar to our first review, the Arborcoat after drying had a “plastic” unnatural look to the wood when done. The finished result was a film-forming stain, similar to a varnish.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 8
– The Arborcoat does well with UV protection. It has a high solid content, similar to a paint. We did use the top coat clear on this deck as well. Not sure if that actually helps with UV protection, but BM claims it does.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 3
– This product does not perform well on our tests. It is prone to peeling and wear. After 2 years much if not all of the flooring had peeling issues. Cracking, peeling and mold growth was evident throughout.
Cost Per Square Foot: 4
– We used 2 gallons of the Cedar color for our 300 sq. foot deck and 1 gallon of the Clear Coat. About $.50 a sq. foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 6
– We had mold growth after two years. Mold was under the stain and on top.
Ease of Application: 5
– We found the Arbor coat to be difficult to apply in this second review. The Arborcoat dries fast and displayed overlap marks. The stain applies like a paint and dries on top of the wood.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 1 Years: 10
– Arborcoat did not darken in color after 2 years
Difficulty of Reapplication: 1
– This product cannot be stripped off completely. You will have to sand to remove fully. We would not suggest applying a stain of a different brand over the Arborcoat. The new coating may not adhere and will be prone to future peeling
Overall Score Defy Extreme Stain at 2 Year Period: 5.25
– There are many negative reviews on the Internet about the Arborcoat. Benjamin Moore knows there is an issue yet they continue to sell this product. We do not recommend using this product.
Google Search: Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Stain Reviews
Where To Buy: Benjamin Moore Paint Outlets
Cost: $45.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent – Acrylic/Alkyd Urethane Blend – Water Based
Available Colors: 75 Custom Colors
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats. One stain coat and one top clear coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-200 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 24-48 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Manufacturer: Benjamin Moore
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: August 2013 to Summer 2015
Deck Wood Type: Cedar
Deck Square Footage: 300
UV Exposure: Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar with Top Coat Clear
*All products tested and results are from our hands on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.