Containing a precise blend of superb-grade linseed oil for maximum penetration, long-oil alkyds for durability and pure South American tung oil for color depth and water repellency, Cabot Australian Timber Oil delivers three-way oil protection and a beautiful hardwood stain. In addition, complex translucent iron oxide pigments are added to ensure a lasting U.V.-absorbing surface rich with color and dimension. The result after years of development is an advanced-technology treatment of unrivaled performance designed to protect your wood surfaces like never before.
Cabot Australian Timber Oil Wood Deck Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8
– The Mahogany Flame looks very red but overall very rich and nice looking on the PTP test deck. All grain was visible and not “covered” by the semi-transparent pigment.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 6
-The Australian Timber Oil performed decently at the 2-year mark. It had retained about 60% of the original color.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 8
-Some wearing but no peeling. Wear was visible on the exposed areas and under the furniture
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– We used 2 gallons to cover our 300 sq. foot deck.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 5
– After 2 years we found evidence of mold on half of the deck. Mostly in the exposed areas. The mold was imbedded in the Cabot and could not be removed with a light wash. To remove you would need to strip the deck.
Ease of Application: 7
– The Australian Timber Oil is thicker in consistency than is used to be. It is not the easiest oil based stain to apply, but still easier than applying most water based stain. We back wiped the deck after 20 minutes to remove any excess stain that did not penetrate into the wood grain.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 7
– Darkening of the stain had occurred where the stain was still attached to the wood. Mostly due to dirt and mold.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 7
– We would suggest a deck stain stripper with pressure washing to remove the Cabot ATO. A Wood Brightener would be needed after to neutralize the stain stripper. This would be the best way to prep for another coat of stain and will remove the mold as well.
Overall Score Cabot Wood Deck Stain at 2 Year Period: 7
– The Cabot Australian Timber Oil is not the same as it used to be. Formula changes due to VOC laws have made this stain average based on what is available. We like it but would not choose this product if a better stain brand can be found.
Where To Buy: Select Hardware Stores or Online
Cost: $45.99 per Gallon, $225.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent
Available Colors: Amberwood, Honey Teak, Mahogany Flame, Natural
Application Temperature: 45-90 F
Coats Required: 1-2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-300 sq. ft
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 24 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in All 50 States
More Info: Product Data
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: April 2013 to Summer 2015
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 300
UV Exposure: Mostly Sun, half of deck had a covered roof.
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Mahogany Flame
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.