Important Note: This is Our 2nd Review of Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain. Our first review of the Defy Epoxy Stain was started in 2007 and completed in 2009. See Here for First Review: Defy Epoxy Stain Review
Defy Epoxy Wood Stain is a specially formulated semi-transparent exterior wood stain that helps resist water damage, UV fading, and fungi. Its VOC compliant epoxy resin penetrates wood pores to lock out moisture and provide excellent protection from the elements.
Defy Stains are one of the few water based stains that actually seem to penetrate into the wood properly. This allows for better wearing.
Defy Epoxy Wood Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8
– Defy Epoxy in Cedartone is a rich caramel color. Typical of most cedar stain colors, the Defy Epoxy highlighted the wood grain with a golden/orangish tone. It was a little more on the orange side then other brands. We personally like their Natural Pine color better but used the Cedartone at the customers request.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 8
– UV discoloration after 2 years had faded at about 20% of the original color. The color actually looked better (less orange) then it did when first applied.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 8
– We noticed a little wearing of the deck in the high traffic areas and around the table. The majority of the deck had the stain intact.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7
– We paid $180 for the 5 gallon pail of Defy Epoxy. Two coats of stain was applied to the floor and 1 coat to the railings. We used all 5 gallon for the 450 foot deck. $.40 a square foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– No mold or mildew. Small amount of green algae was on top of the stain, under the benches.
Ease of Application: 7
– Defy stains are water based penetrating stains. In general we find that most water based stains are more difficult to apply as they dry very fast. We personally did not have any issues but be careful of hot days in full sun as you may get some overlaps. Spread rate is mediocre but penetration is excellent. The stains absorbs into the wood very easily.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 9
– Defy Epoxy does not darken but fades in color.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– Since the majority of the stain was intact and it penetrated so well into the wood, reapplication would consist of a cleaning to remove the dirt and algae. This would be sufficient to apply another coat of stain.
Overall Score Defy Extreme Stain at 2 Year Period: 8
– The rating of the Defy Epoxy went down .2 of a point since our first test. Not a significant difference. We still believe that Defy continues to make excellent water based stains. What makes their stains different then other water based stains is the ability to actually absorb into the wood properly. Most of the water based stains that we have used or worked on did not penetrate well or at all, filming on top of the wood. This caused product peeling and difficulty in removal.
Defy continues to be our go to water based stains.
Help or Questions? Google Search Defy Stain
Cost: $38.99 per Gallon, $188.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: Cedartone, Natural Pine, Light Walnut
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats. “Wet on Wet”
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Manufacturer: Saver Systems
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: August 2010 – 2012
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine Deck
Deck Square Footage: 450 Square feet
UV Exposure: 80% sun during the day
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedartone
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.