Olympic® RESCUE IT!® Resurfacer is the ultimate remedy for worn or weathered wood and concrete. With the proper preparation, this 100% acrylic coating fills wood and concrete cracks up to ¼″ deep. Don’t replace it. Rescue it!Olympic Rescue It Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 6
– The Olympic Rescue It version of “deck restore type” products is no different in that it still looks like a thick paint was applied. Overall though it did have a nice uniform appearance.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 10
– No graying of the deck as this product does not allow the stain through to change the appearance.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 5
– The Olympic Rescue It performed better then the Behr Deckover and the Rust-Olem versions but not nearly as good as the Gulf Synthetics brand that we have tested. After the first winter about 1/2 of the deck had some issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 3
– Coverage was about the suggested 50 sq. per gallon for the two coats. We used 12 gallons for the deck at a total cost of about $400 for 600 sq. feet.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 8
– There was some mold on the deck. Very little and could be related to a large tree nearby. Nothing to worry about and the Olympic Rescue It did a pretty good job with this category.
Ease of Application: 3
– Applies like a thick paste. We had to dip into the tray with the roller every few sq. feet. Dries and sets fairly fast as well in direct sunlight
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 10
– The Olympic Rescue It did not darken in color in any way.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 3
– You would have to sand off the Olympic Rescue It for full removal before reapplying the same or a different brand of deck stain.
Overall Score Olympic Rescue It at 2 Year Period: 6
– The Olympic Rescue It scored better then any other of the big box versions of the “Deck Resurface” type stains. If you are in a warm weather state, you probably would get better results then our testing. These products seem to peel anywhere you get a freeze/thaw cycle.
Where To Buy: Lowes and Select Stores
Cost: $35 per Gallon
Stain Type: Acrylic Solid Stain – Water Based
Available Colors: 110 Custom colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats.
Coverage Per Gallon: Covers up to 50 sq. ft. in 2 coats per gallon
Application Tools: Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 8-24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: 2013
Deck Wood Type: Cedar Deck
Deck Square Footage: 600 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 1 Years
Stain Color Used: Russet
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Update Spring of 2016
Please read our article on Gulf Synthetics Deck Revive Review 2015 We believe this product has real value if looking for these product types that actually work.