Why repaint when you can revitalize your deck—with Rust-Oleum® Deck & Concrete Restore® ? This liquid-armor resurfacer forms a tough, resilient coating over existing decking. It lasts for years with minimal maintenance! Limited lifetime warranty.
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 3
– The finished appearance of this product is poor. It looks “clumpy” and dirt has a tendency to stick to the surface as the product cures. The color did not match the color on the chart.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 10
– Does not gray in the areas where it has not peeled.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 2
– Of all the “Deck Resurface” products the Rust-Oleum version peels the worst. It started peeling within a few months of application.
Cost Per Square Foot: 1
– Coverage is terrible. We did not get the 30 sq. feet per gallon for the 2 coats. Closer to 20 sq. feet for two coats. We spent over $350 for our 200 sq. foot deck.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 6
– About 40% of the deck had mold.
Ease of Application: 1
– This product is not easy to apply. It splatters and it we had to constantly back wipe to ensure an even appearance. The roller that comes with the kit is useless and does not last. It feels like you are applying a coat of tar with sand in it.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 10
– The Rust-Oleum Deck Restore does not darken in color.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 1
– Be prepared to sand this off for switching to a different brand. Might be easier to fill deck boards or replace the floor.
Overall Score Rust-Oleum Deck Restore It at 2 Year Period: 4.25
– The Synta Deck Restore started the craze of the “Deck Resurface” products. Synta’s version was bought by Rust-Oleum and the formula may have changed. Looking at the online history of reviews for this product, it seemed to work better prior to the acquisition. We cannot recommend this product based on our testing, numerous poor online reviews (check Amazon), and the class action lawsuit.
Where To Buy: Home Depot, WalMart, Select Stores
Cost: $45 for a 2 Gallon Kit
Stain Type: Acrylic Solid Stain – Water Based
Available Colors: 60+colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats.
Coverage Per Gallon: 25-30 sq ft per gallon with 2 coats
Application Tools: Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 8-24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: 2013
Deck Wood Type: Pine Treated Deck
Deck Square Footage: 200 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 1+ Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Update Spring of 2015
Please read our article on Gulf Synthetics Deck Revive Review 2015 We believe this product has real value if looking for these product types that actually work.