Deck Restore™ is the smart alternative to deck replacement. It revives and protects wood surfaces such as wood and composite decking, stairs, docks and more.
Deck Restore™ is water based, low odor and fills up to 1/4” cracks.
Synta’s Deck Restore is designed to “mask” the wood. It will not show the wood grain. Promoted as a product for wood that is beyond conventional restoration.Synta Rust-Oleum Restore Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 5
- Synta Restore is basically a very thick paint that is designed to mask the wood and fill any large cracks and voids. To us it looked very fake on the pressure treated deck. We also noticed that the finish (after full drying) is very hot to the touch when exposed to direct sunlight. To the point that you would not be able to walk on the surface with bare feet.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 10
- Being a solid non-translucent product, the (Rust-Oleum) Restore does not show any signs of UV fading. This is normal for solid stains and paints.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 7
- Synta (Rust-Oleum) Restore showed some wearing in the high traffic areas and between the decking boards. It seems that the (Rust-Oleum) Restore did not adhere between the boards as the finish curled up here.
Cost Per Square Foot: 1
- Horrible. We needed 10 of the (Rust-Oleum) Restore 2 gallon kits. That is $600 for a 600 sq. foot deck or $1 per foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 10
- Synta (Rust-Oleum) Restore should zero mold or algae on deck.
Ease of Application: 2
- Very difficult to apply. We used the supplied roller and a heavy duty brush for back wiping and to get between the floor boards. We followed all the supplied directions. The entire project for the two required coats took 12 hours to perform with 2 people. We had issues getting the stain to apply evenly and between the deck boards. Full curing for the Synta Restore can take up to 3 weeks.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 10
- Did not darken or attract dirt.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 5
- Heavy scraping to remove the peeling stain would be required prior to applying another coat. Conversations with the manufacturer on the product failure were difficult. Basically they blamed the peeling on poor prepping of the wood even though we followed their online instructions.
Overall Score Rust-Oleum Restore Solid Acrylic Stain at 2 Year Period: 6.25
- We are not a fan of this product. Basically a “thick” paint that performs about the same as any other solid color deck stain. Doing some research online and you will find there are more unhappy customers out there then satisfied customers. Appearance is poor, application is difficult, and cost per foot is horrible. To be fair, the Synta Restore did score extremely well in UV fading and preventing mold.
Where To Buy: Big Box Stores, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc
Cost: $59.99 per 2 Gallon Kit
Stain Type: Acrylic Solid Stain – Water Based
Available Colors: 20 different colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats.
Coverage Per Gallon: 100 sq. ft per 2 gallon kit for 1 coat. Need 2 coats for best performance.
Application Tools: Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 8-24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Test Deck Stats:
Location of Deck: North Carolina
When Tested: June 2009
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine Dock
Deck Square Footage: 600 Square feet
UV Exposure: Southern exposure. Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.