This post was updated on May 2, 2022
Behr Deckover Review Updated for 2022
Since the article was first originally published, we have had many comments from consumers who have used the Deckover and have had a terrible experience with peeling and failure. If you have used the Behr Deckover, please upload and post pictures of your exterior wood or deck with the Deckover on it. A brief description of your experience would be helpful as well. This can be done in our comment area below. Feel free to submit a Star Rating on the Behr Deckover coating.
Important Note: Behr Deckover is now called Behr Advanced DeckOver. It comes in a smooth or textured finish.
Bring new life to old wood and concrete surfaces with BEHR ADVANCED DECKOVER. This 100% acrylic formula conceals cracks and splinters up to 1/4″, and creates a smooth, slip-resistant finish that also resists cracking and peeling. It’s available in 54 solid custom colors and is also great for decks, railings, patios, composite decks, pool decks, and walkways.
Recommended for properly prepared exterior weathered or cracked horizontal and vertical wood and composite surfaces such as Decks, Railings, Porches, and Boat Docks. Also great for concrete surfaces such as Pool Decks, Patios, and Sidewalks. Do not use on drivable surfaces such as garage floors and driveways.
Behr Deckover Stain Ratings (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 4
– Behr applies like thick paint and helps to fill cracks and conceal splinters. It looks like paint, not like a deck stain. Our customer complained about dirty footprints always showing up on the deck. Had to scrub to remove.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 10
– Excellent UV protection from graying in the areas that were not peeling.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 4
– After one Winter and the Deckover was peeling heavily. We prepped according to manufacturer directions, so we know that was not the problem. In general, we have found that all Behr stains have a tendency to peel, especially after a Winter in a cold-weather state.
Cost Per Square Foot: 1
– Not good. Behr says 75 sq. per gallon, and that is very generous. We used 8 gallons for the 400 sq. foot deck. The first coat applied at about 50 sq. feet and the second coat applied at 75 sq. feet per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 10
– No Mold or Algae were on the deck stain after 2+ years.
Ease of Application: 2
-Very difficult to apply. We applied with a brush and roller. We needed to back brush numerous times to get the stain to fill in the cracks. We had many drips between the deck boards showing.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 10
– It did not darken or attract dirt.
The Difficulty of Reapplication: 1
– This would be tough to fix and may not be worth it to recoat with the same product. You would have to scrape and sand all loose stain before reapplication. If you wanted to change brands, you would need to sand the entire deck to remove as the Behr Deckover will not strip off with a conventional deck stripper remover.
Overall Score Behr Deckover at 2 Year Period: 5.5
– If you took away the UV protection of being a solid stain product, this product’s ratings would be much less. There are many complaints on the internet about the Behr Deckover. Use at your own risk as there is a good chance it will peel and create an enormous mess for you to fix.
Behr DeckOver Surface Consumer Photos
Behr Advanced DeckOver Home Depot
Where To Buy: Home Depot
Cost: $38 per Gallon
Stain Type: Acrylic Solid Stain – Water Based
Available Colors: 54 Custom colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats.
Coverage Per Gallon: 75 sq. ft per gallon. Need 2 coats for the best performance.
Application Tools: Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 8-24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Untreated Pressure Treated Pine Dock
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 1 Year. Peeled after the first Winter.
Update Spring of 2022
Please read our article on Gulf Synthetics Deck Revive Review 2022 We believe this product has actual value if looking for these product types that actually work.
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.