Update 2020 on Behr Quick Dry Oil Finish
We have found that the only thing “quick” about the BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish is the need to redo it. It only lasts about one year at best. The good news it is easily stripped off so you can choose to go with another brand of stain.
Any questions on the BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish? Ask Below in the comment area.
Manufacturer Description on the BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish
BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish is a revolutionary, breakthrough product that allows you to prep, stain and entertain all on the same day. This unique wood finish features damp wood application and dries dramatically faster than traditional oil wood finishes. It quickly penetrates the wood surface and provides early rain resistance. It is our Most Advanced Oil Formula and is excellent for use on decks, fences, and siding.
BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 3
– We used the Clear which is not Clear but tinted yellow. We understand that it has to be tinted to achieve UV protection but it is deceiving to consumers to call it Clear when it is not. The yellow color was not natural looking as well. Numerous complaints about appearance and colors on the Home Depot website for the BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish.
Preventing UV Graying in 1st Year Mark: 5
– Very faded after the first Summer and Fall. It will not make it for two years. Behr warranty states 1 year only as well. Update: Completely faded after 2 years. Nothing was visibly left on the wood.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 7
– After the first season, the BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish showed some wear in traffic areas. About 20% of the deck had issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 4
– BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish costs $42 per gallon. We used 3 gallons for the 300 square feet. Nowhere near the claim of 300 sq feet per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– No issues after the first 2 years. A small amount of mildew under the railings.
Ease of Application: 2
– Applying the BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish is not as easy as it should be. Color is “too rich” and gummed up in our paintbrush. It was difficult to apply evenly and showed some overlap marks.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 1 Year: 8
– BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish does not darken in color much or at all.
The difficulty of Reapplication: 5.5
– The BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish will need to be stripped and brightened for prep before reapplying.
Overall Score BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Stain: 5.4
– BEHR Premium Quick Dry Oil Base Wood Finish is a newer stain. We have never been fans of the Behr Deck stain products and this is not any better. We love the idea of doing a deck in a day but there are better products for this (see Restore-A-Deck Wood Stain). It is very expensive for a 1-year warranty product.
We suggest reading reviews online from other websites as they will collaborate with our experience and numerous consumer experiences with this.
Where To Buy: Home Depot
Cost: $41.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Premium Transparent – Oil Based
Available Colors: Clear, Natural Cedartone, Redwood, Chocolate, Cordovan
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 1 Coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-150 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Sprayer, Lambswool Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 1-4 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Cedar Deck
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square Feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our hands-on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.