As always, we appreciate your input, so feel free to leave a comment below and pictures of your completed projects using the Behr Solid Stain.
Summary: BEHR PREMIUM® Solid Color Waterproofing Stain & Sealer
Protect and beautify with BEHR PREMIUM Solid Color Weatherproofing All-In-One Wood Stain & Sealer. This 100% acrylic formula seals out the elements, and the sun’s harmful UV rays, for up to 10 yrs. on decks and up to 25 yrs. on fences and siding. It’s available in more than 1,600 custom colors to help you get just about any look you can imagine.
Behr Solid Color Deck Stain Review
Behr Solid Color Wood Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8
– The Behr Solid solid stain color we used was custom mixed to a red. The two coats applied to our PTP wood covered nicely and did not show any wood grain which is expected with a solid stain. Even application and no overlap lines.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 3
–At the 2-year mark, there was significant wearing and peeling.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– We applied two coats to our 400 sq. feet of verticals that included all railings and steps. 2 Gallons were used at a cost of $40 per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 8
– At the 2-year mark, the deck showed no signs of any mildew. Some green algae were present in the areas that had peeled.
Ease of Application: 8
– We applied two coats of the Behr Solid solid color stain with a roller and brush to the wood, waiting about 30 minutes between coats. The second coat goes on very easy and covers twice as far as the first coat.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 4
– You will need to pressure wash to remove the peeling stain and sand the remaining off. Not an easy fix!
Overall Score Behr Solid Color Stain at 2 Year Period: 6.5
– The Behr Solid stain did not perform well. Reading numerous reviews online, the Behr has a tendency to peel and wear in high traffic areas. We do not recommend.
More Info: Home Depot
Cost: $39.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Solid Color (Opaque) Wood Stain – Water Based
Available Custom-Mixed Solid Colors: 1,600 custom colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-400 sq. ft
Application Tools: Airless Sprayer, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
VOC Compliant: 50 VOC Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Red
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.