Update for 2019 on What is the Best Deck Deck Prep:
In this article, we help by guiding consumers in finding the best way to prep their deck for an application or reapplication of a deck stain or deck coating. Not all scenarios are the same and this article with some input and pictures from you will help determine the proper way to prep.
What is the Best Deck Prep? Clean, Strip, or Sand the Deck?
This is the 2nd most popular question that deck owners have on this website with the first being What is the Best Deck Stain? Prepping your deck is the single most important aspect in the deck restoration process and will determine your final appearance and the stain longevity. Not prepping properly can lead to premature stain failure and overall poor appearance results. How to best prep your deck could vary on numerous scenarios:
- Is the wood new or old?
- Does it have a previous coating on the wood?
- Are you recoating with the same brand and colors as last time?
- When was the last time it was stained?
- What type of stain was it coated with before?
A better way to approach the deck prepping question is to ask, “what is the best deck prep for my deck due to its current condition and age”?
The three main ways to prep a deck are:
- Deck Cleaning followed by Wood Brightening
- Deck Stripping followed by Wood Brightening
- Power Sanding
- Or a combination of the above.