Notifications
Clear all

Best deck stains available in Canada?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@skydancer)
Topic starter  

I am going to be staining a 5 year old pressure treated deck. Will be washed and sanded beforehand, so little of the brown colour from the pressure treating remains. 

I can’t find any of your recommended stains near me. I have Home Depot, Lowe’s, BM and SW nearby, so I haven’t heard following stains to choose from:

-olympic

- cabot

-sico

-behr

-arborcoat

-superdeck

Ideally looking for transparent stain, but willing to consider semi transparent if the quality will be much better. 

Our weather runs the full gamut of extremes. -40 to +35 °C and lots of snow in the winter. We will be shoveling the snow using the deck in the winter. 

any advice on which stain would be best?

Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

Sorry but they are all poor or mediocre brands in your list. We personally would not use any of them, but if we had to choose, we would use Sico.

ReplyQuote
(@skydancer)
Topic starter  

That’s what I was afraid of. Is something like the Olympic triumph/summit and/woodland oil or cabot’s Australian timber oil any better or is it just marketing and all their stuff is just as bad? Just realized we also have dulux nearby if that is any better.

If Sico is the best of a bad lot then I guess that’s what we’ll go with, but I am hopeful I can find something better. 

thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
Share: