Notifications
Clear all

Best Stain & Recommended Prep for Upstate NY

Tboink
(@tboink)
Topic starter  

Hi!

First and foremost thank you, thank you, thank you!!! After searching the internet and YouTube in vain for days, I stumbled across deckstainhelp.com and I am so very grateful.  Finally a site with experts who ask the critical questions needed to provide sound advice.  Keep up the good work!  Now for the questions.

1. Deck Location State:  Albany New York
  2. Full Sun, Partial Shade, Full Shade:  Full Sun
  3. Wood Type:  Pressure Treated Pine
  4. Mold or Mildew Issues: Yes
  5. Reason for Previous Stain Failure:  Cracked, Peeled, Flaked Off
  6. Previous Stain Brand and Type of stain (Solid, Semi-transparent, Transparent, etc):  Behr Solid Color Waterproofing Wood Stain over Behr wood stain primer.

The deck was built in the late 80s - early 90s and the deck surface had very little coating and was grayed by UV exposure.  The deck boards are probably CCA treated and are nailed not screwed.  In 2016  I completely stripped the previous coating with a stripper product and then sanded followed by cleaning and a brightener.  I used a Behr wood stain primer and applied two coats of the Behr solid color waterproofing wood stain.  That product performed very poorly to say the least.  In less than a year it started cracking and peeling.  I will NEVER use anything but a penetrating stain ever again per your advice.

It's time to do this the right way.  My goal is to use a product that will not crack, blister, and fail.  I want to be able to just clean and reapply stain as needed.  The attached photos show some typical deck boards after I spent this last weekend stripping and sanding with a walk-behind orbital sander.  The stripper did not work very well and I gouged the boards somewhat with the pressure washer - sanding was unavoidable.  I used 40 grit paper followed by 60 grit and will now sand smooth using 80 grit using belt and orbital hand sanders.  After sanding, I plan to clean and brighten using the Restore-A-Deck products.  Based on your reviews it appears that TWP 1500 semi-transparent would be the best choice.  Can you please review the photos and confirm my restoration plan?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

As long as you sanded or removed all of the solid stain you can then proceed with the prep and TWP 1500 Staining. The TWP is a great stain for cleaning and reapplying as needed.

ReplyQuote
Tboink
(@tboink)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the speedy response!  One last question, how much TWP 1500 will be needed for two coats for a 600 sq. ft. deck?

ReplyQuote
Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

About 5-6 gallons.

ReplyQuote
Share: