Clear all

LIFETIME wood treatment

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
 Andy
(@andy)
Topic starter  

I live in NW Montana and am interested if anyone has info/experience with LIFETIME wood treatment - it has been established since 1990 and comes from BC Canada (Valhalla Wood Preservatives Ltd). It comes in a powder form that you mix with water before application. Its main plus is that it is completely non-toxic. I am putting down a new Cedar deck that is south facing(lots of UV), uncovered and gets a lot of snow/ice in winter. I am looking for a product that cuts maintenance to a bare minimum but am concerned that this product does not seal the wood. It states that it accelerates the greying process and now I am not sure that is a good thing - does more greying indicate more oxidization and hence less life? Basically I want to know if this product is suitable for my needs - longevity / protection / low maintenance....?
Many thanks to all the deck Gurus for putting up this site and helping lost DIY souls like myself 🙂

Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

This product will do nothing for the exposed wood. It will not seal, stop graying or help with mold. Basically if you sue this you will still need to apply a finish coating to the exposed wood.

It "supposedly" densifies the wood internally which in theory wood prolong the wood's life from rot and decay internally.

ReplyQuote
 Andy
(@andy)
Topic starter  

Thanks - that said, if I was to use Lifetime initially ( was thinking of doing boards before install unless you think that wrong?) what stain would you recommend for after treatment considering my location and temp variations etc? If the best answer is do not use lifetime at all but do this.... then please advise.... once again my goals are - longevity / protection / low maintenance....? Many thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

Honestly I doubt if the Lifetime will have any benefit. I could be wrong though.

Stain with TWP 1500 Series or the Armstrong Clark.

ReplyQuote
(@khartu)

I've used this product and like it. I put it on a few things in the back yard.  One length of fence. The other two were painted with grey stain solid color, while the builders crew neglected to paint the other. We decided to use this product there.  I also took a bunch of untreated spruce 2x2's and applied to them to use in the garden as an intentional test.... These were pounded in the ground left.  In my region, the untreated spruce has signs of determination very quickly. Meanwhile that stuff worked and they are totally fine. The color is a deeper orange not grey somehow on the 2x2s.  The fence went grey and has a patina.  People that say it's useless are mistaken. It definitely treats wood.  Its effective.  I'm unsure if a person could strip it off without sanding if ever reqd. Probably not.  I believe it's in a family of products that make what is called wood glass on the surface.  Its supposed to be somewhat flamre retardant as a result also.

ReplyQuote
(@khartu)

** Deteriation not determination .

The wood stakes are 2-3 years old and no signs of rotting while spruce wood I stained and used as plant boxes has rotted significantly at the bottom in 2 years.

Imho it works.

ReplyQuote
Share: