Notifications
Clear all

Mixing TWP Cedartone and Clear - Disastrous Results

Staining newbie
(@staining-newbie)
Topic starter  

Hi.

Great website!

We have been staining our front fence (front and back). We sanded everything off, washed, and deck brightened.

On the front side of the fence (facing the road), we went with Armstrong Amber, and it came out beautifully, exactly what I wanted.

However, on the back side of the same fence, at the suggestion of a local authorized TWP dealer, we mixed 1500 Cedartone and 1500 Clear in equal parts to hopefully get a iight yellowish and brown look to match our internal perimeter fence, which we stained last year with WoodRx PT stain (which was very easy to apply to a very large perimeter fence). Instead of light yellowish-brown, the color has come out a DARK redwood color. I'm very unhappy with this, and am thinking of stripping off/sanding the TWP, deck brightening again, and then just going with the excellent Armstrong Amber.

Any thoughts as to what happened? It's almost as if they sold us TWP Redwood rather than Cedartone, but the can clearly is marked Cedartone. To reiterate, we sanded the inside fence to bare wood, treated it with washing and deck brightener, let it dry for several days, and then stained with the TWP mix. The results are not good, as it is MUCH darker than I would have thought (we stained on Saturday and it's now Monday.)

I'm not happy with TWP right now. Any thoughts on what happened and what we could do better?

Staining Newbie

This topic was modified 5 years ago by Staining newbie

Topic Tags
TWP
Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

That is not really TWP's faults as you created a custom mix and it ended up being more red than yellow. Go with Amber in the AC. You will need to strip and brighten for prep.

ReplyQuote
Staining newbie
(@staining-newbie)
Topic starter  

Fair enough, I suppose, but I thought TWP was mixable between similar TWP stains. In fact the dealer itself showed me how they mixed 1500 TWP Redwood with TWP Clear to get a lighter red and thought it would be fine to do the same with Cedartone and Clear to lighten the tone.  Anyways, I'm now stuck with extra gallons of this stuff.

In any event, let me clarify:  I just needed to strip the TWP off rather than sanding, right? As mentioned in the prior post, we sanded to bare wood last week, so all the previous stuff is gone. Hopefully, stripping will not entail the huge amount of work that sanding did! Of course, i will deck brighten after a good wash when the stripper is off and prior to staining.

Thanks for your very prompt help. As a newbie to this, it's good to have a resource such as yours.

ReplyQuote
Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

It is mixable but guaranteeing a color is not. Yes, strip and brighten. No need to sand. Use the Restore A Deck Stripper Kits. It is easier than sanding.

ReplyQuote
Share: