Notifications
Clear all

Sealed with Rust-Oleum Deck Primer... Now What?

Jimmi
(@jimmi)
Topic starter  

Just sealed deck with Rust-Oleum Rock Solid Deck Start Primer, and by chance I just came across Deck Stain Help's review of my gallon of Rust-Oleum Restore 2X, which has given me pause and questions to resolve. First: Should I abandon the Restore 2X Stain I bought over a year ago? Second: what deck stain can and should I use as a Water Based Solid Stain to go over the just applied Rock Solid Deck Start Primer? I am in no rush to finish the final water based stain, now that I have questions to its quality, and as I did repairs replacing rotted sections of treated wood, which at this moment has 5 more months before the newly replaced section can also be

primed and then stained as a whole.

Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

We would never use the Rust-Oleum products on deck. They fail and create major issues with trying to fix. Unfortunately, we do not know of any products that can be applied over their primer.

ReplyQuote
Jimmi
(@jimmi)
Topic starter  

Dear ADMIN: In a chat with someone from Defy online, an approval was given to use Defy Extreme Solid Color Stain over Rust-Oleum Rock Solid Deck Start Primer. From the discussion, the primer itself will not cause the Defy Stain to fail to adhere, the rep did not go into if the make-up of the Primers and if the formulations are mostly the same or not. I would love to know your opinion as to such also, as I belt sanding that deck down and prepping is a pain, but as it is today the chat with the representative from Defy has me ready to buy and use their stain.

Thanks James  

ReplyQuote
Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

We would never use a primer prior to a solid stain but if Defy said it can be done with their solid stains, then you are probably okay.

ReplyQuote
Jimmi
(@jimmi)
Topic starter  

Thank you for all the quick replies, helped me greatly, only wish I had found you guys before using the primer. Defy, for general information for others said their Solid Stain would adhere to the Rock Solid Deck Start Primer, but will last as long as primer does. From using the primer before with the Rock Solid Deck Stain 2X I give it five years, fortunately for me that time frame places the pressure treated pine deck at the end of its basic life span of 20 + years in a climate like Houston TX.  Thanks Again, James McLoughlin

ReplyQuote
Share: