This post was updated on January 14, 2022
Defy Extreme Solid Stain Review 2022
This is our initial Review of the Defy Solid Color Wood and Deck Stain. This review will be updated throughout the years. The Defy Extreme Solid Stain is an excellent choice for a solid color wood and deck stain. As always, we appreciate your input, so feel free to leave a comment below and pictures of your completed projects using the Defy Extreme Solid Stain.
Defy Extreme Solid Color Wood Stain Review
Summary: DEFY Extreme Solid Color Wood Stain is a synthetic-resin, opaque wood and deck finish that helps protect against water, mildew, mold, algae, and UV radiation on exterior wood surfaces.
This V.O.C. compliant water-based product provides a beautiful finish, fortified with transparent “oxide” based Nano Particles. There are over 30 TRILLION nano-particles per square inch that provide extreme protection for your wood by blocking out the sun’s harmful UV rays, moisture and fungal growth.
Defy Extreme Solid Wood Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 9
– The DEFY Extreme Solid Color Wood Stain in the custom-mixed Redwood color has a beautiful finished appearance. Coverage was excellent and the grain of the wood was completely covered, which is the nature of solid opaque stains.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 9
–At the 1-year mark, there was no peeling anywhere. Little to no wearing was visible.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– We applied two coats to our 600 sq. feet of verticals that included all railings and steps. 4 Gallons were used at a cost of $55 per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– After 1 year a slight area of green algae was detected in a shaded area of the deck but seemed to only be on top of the stained surface. This seemed to be more of an issue of the deck’s location than with the actual stain.
Ease of Application: 8
– The DEFY Extreme Solid Color Wood Stain is easier to apply than many of the solid color deck stains that you can find in big box stores. Using a staining brush or roller is best for efficient coverage. We applied both coats, waiting about 20-45 minutes between coats.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– Pressure wash to remove all dirt and grime using a deck cleaner. Let dry and reapply 1-2 coats of the solid stain. No need to strip off, just remove any loose stain prior to reapplication.
Overall Score Defy Extreme Solid Color Stain at 1 Year Period: 8.5
– The DEFY Extreme Solid Color Wood Stain is a great solid stain and shows lots of promise. It is newer to the market but that does not mean you shouldn’t consider it. Advances in technology mean that durability is better now than previously.
Where to Buy: Do-it Best stores
Cost: $54.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Solid Color (Opaque) Wood Stain – Water Based
Available Custom-Mixed Solid Colors: Custom tinted to any color.
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-250 sq. ft
Application Tools: Airless Sprayer, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
VOC Compliant: 50 VOC Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 600 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 1 Year
Stain Color Used: Red Custom Mix
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Deck Stain Help & Questions
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.