Defy Extreme Stain was introduced in 2008 as the newest member of the Defy Stain family. Defy Extreme Deck Stain in a penetrating water-based stain that does not film on the wood. Defy Extreme contains synthetic epoxy resins that “harden” the wood pores below the surface.
Utilizing nano-technology, Defy Extreme is one of the best stains on the market when it comes to preventing UV graying.
*Note: Defy Extreme Wood Stain is an improved version of the Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain. Containing the same ingredients but with the added UV protection of the zinc oxide nano particles .
Defy Extreme Deck Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8.5
– Defy Extreme Stain had a rich look to the wood. Natural grain was highlighted evenly throughout. The Defy Extreme did not mask the grain like other water based wood stains. Penetration of the stain into the wood was excellent. The Cedartone color was slightly on the “orange” side but acceptable for a cedar deck stain color.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 9
– One of the best in the industry. Testing over a 2 year period showed little to no color fade. The zinc oxide nano particles seemed to help drastically with the Ultra Violet radiation that turns the wood gray.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 8
– Better than average wear and tear. High traffic areas show some wearing but overall tested
extremely well. No noticeable peeling.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7
– Defy Extreme costs about $40 per gallon. For two coats we got about 100 square feet per gallon. We used 8 gallons for the 750 square foot deck translating to a per square foot price of $.43 a foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 10
– Defy Extreme Stain is a water-based stain that does not promote mold growth in the stain. Very small amount of algae was noticeable but was only in a shaded area and was on top of the stain. More of an issue with the decks location not the stain itself.
Ease of Application: 7.5
– Fairly easy to apply. One issue we noticed was that it can dry very fast when in direct sunlight and on a hot day. Easy cleanup with water.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 9
– Stain changed very little in color after the 2 year period. No noticeable darkening.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8.5
– No noticeable darkening, deep penetration, and little wearing make the Defy Extreme Stain an easy product to reapply when needed. Mild wood cleaning with the Defy Wood Cleaner and Defy Wood Brightener is what you would need to use to prep.
Overall Score Defy Extreme Stain at 2 Year Period: 8.47
– Defy Extreme is an excellent product and easily outperforms the majority of stains on the market. When it comes to water-based “Eco-Friendly” stains, Defy Extreme is our top choice. Defy Extreme performed in the top three of all stains tested when it comes to preventing UV graying on a horizontal surface. On vertical surfaces such as railings, the Extreme had no color change.
Help or Questions? Google Search Defy Extreme Stain
Defy Stain Facebook Page: Defy Exterior Stains
Cost: $44 per Gallon, $216 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: Cedartone, Natural Pine, Light Walnut, Clear
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats. “Wet on Wet”
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-150 sq. ft
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Manufacturer: Saver Systems
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 750 Square feet
UV Exposure: 90% Full Sun, 10% Shade. South facing.
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedartone
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.