This post was updated on January 19, 2022
2021 HD80 Deck Stripper Ratings (1-10)
– HD80 as with most stains stripper scores exceptionally well when it comes to the removal of dirt, grime, and mold.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– Scores very well when it comes to cost-effectiveness. One container of stripper sells for $34.99 and makes 5 liquid gallons. This translates to about $6 per liquid gallon. Each gallon covers 150 square feet.
Removal of Old Stain: 7
– HD80 contains a mixture of sodium hydroxide and surfactants. When stripping the Olympic deck stain, the HD80 had little trouble. The coating was softened to the point that light agitation removed the Olympic. A small test on a difficult to remove an acrylic stain (Behr) showed adequate results. The HD80 did darken the wood considerably but the use of its sister product (Citralic Wood Brightener) reversed the darkening and lightened the wood significantly.
Ease of Application: 7
– HD80 is a very strong formula and special care needs to be taken when mixing the powder with water. It is important to wear protective gloves and eyewear. If any of the HD80 gets on your skin, rinse immediately. Once the powder had dissolved in the water, the Hd80 was easily applied with a pump sprayer. Coverage was better than average at 150 square feet per gallon.
Final Appearance of Stripping: 7.7
– The Olympic semi-transparent stain was 70-80% removed when done. A few small areas of stain that were unexposed did not come off.
– HD80 gets a better than average score for a deck stain stripper. The low cost of the product allows for repeated applications if needed for difficult stain removal.
Where To Buy: Select Stores or Online
Product Type: Powdered Concentrate Deck Stain Stripper
Available Sizes: 2 Pound Container Makes 5 Liquid Gallons
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Scrub Brush, Pump Sprayer
Manufacturer: Extreme Solutions
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 400
The condition of Deck: Heavily worn Olympic Oil-Based Semi-Transparent Deck Stain
How Much Product Used: 2 Pounds. Retails for $44.99.
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
The Best Deck Strippers Video – DeckStainHelp.com
Deck Stain Help & Questions
- Stain Or Seal Deck
- Prepping Deck For Stain
- Composite Deck Stain
- Fence Stain Colors Lowes
- How Long Does It Take For Stain to Dry
- Do You Have to Put a Clear Coat Over Stain
- How to Remove Deck Stain
- Two Tone Deck Stain Ideas
- How to Prep a New Deck For Staining
- Best Wood Deck Stain
- Clean Algae Off Deck
- Deck Stain Advice
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.