How to remove deck stain properly from your wood before reapplying.
No matter how well you protect your stained deck, you may eventually have to strip and restain the wood. If you choose to change the color or brand of stain on your deck, you will have to strip it before applying the new stain or sealer. A stripper makes it easier to remove the old stain by weakening the bond between the stain and wood particles. The old stain can then be easily removed by using a pressure washer or scrub brush.
Note: See here if you need to remove a Difficult to Remove Deck or Wood Stain.
Here are some tips we recommend you follow to make deck stain removal a swift, painless process:
- Use a deck stripper if you are working with wood that has previously been stained. If you are working with a new wood surface or there is no stain on the deck, use a deck cleaner. If you are unsure about what to do, you can ask questions below.
- Remove all furniture from the area
- Wear protective clothing, gloves, and eyewear before going near the product. Mix or use the deck stain stripper according to the directions on the label. Test a small section of your deck before applying to the whole area, as deck stain strippers vary in effectiveness. You may need a stronger formula if it doesn’t work on the tested area. See here if you need to remove a Difficult to Remove Deck or Wood Stain.
- Apply the deck stain stripper with a pump up sprayer in sections of 100-300 square feet at a time. Saturate all the wood with one coat then wait 10-20 minutes. If the surface is slippery, that means the stain stripper is working to break the bonds effectively. If the surface is not slippery, apply another coat of the stain stripper and wait longer.
- Using either a brush or pressure washer, remove the old stain from the deck. Take precaution to wash with the grain wood whenever possible.
- Repeat this process until all of the old deck stain has been removed from the deck. Spot strip any sections where the stain didn’t come off the first time.
- Thoroughly rinse all wood and surrounding areas
- Apply a wood brightener to restore the pH balance before staining.
Do you have any questions on how to remove a deck stain? Leave any questions or comments below with any photos you may have of your projects.