This post was updated on April 22, 2022
2022 on Messmers Hardwood Stains
Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods was developed to penetrate and protect exotic hardwoods. This stain will help preserve and protect hardwoods from UV fading and water absorption. The two colors available will restore the wood’s natural color tones.
Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods was the first stain specifically designed for difficult to penetrate exotic woods.
Important Note: Testing for Exotic Hardwood Deck Stains
Exotic hardwoods such as IPE are extremely dense and difficult to penetrate. These wood types when stained, will always fade faster the other woods such as Cedar, Redwood, and Pine. Testing will be changed to 1 year instead of 2 years for exotic hardwoods.
Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods Stain Rating (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 9
– The Red Mahogany color was used for the IPE test deck. We choose this color since the manufacturer said it would last a little longer than the Natural tint. The stained appearance when dry was a beautiful color of reddish-brown tones throughout our IPE.
Preventing UV Graying at 1 Year Mark: 8
– As mentioned previously we only test exotic hardwoods for 1 year. Messmers retained 70% of its original color after one year in the full sun areas and close to 80% in the shaded areas. Overall good results for an IPE deck.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 8
– The Messmers Hardwood stain exhibited little to no peeling on the wood. The stain faded evenly without any wear patterns.
Cost Per Square Foot: 9
– Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods costs $45.99 per gallon. The IPE decking was 650 square feet and we used all 3 gallons for the 1.5 coats. Costs $.22 a square foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 7
– After 1 year we did find a small amount of mold growing on the stain in the shaded areas only. Nothing major but a good cleaning with an Oxygenated wood cleaner would be needed prior to reapplication.
Ease of Application: 8.5
– Very easy stain to apply. Coverage was exceptional as the first coat only took two gallons for the 650 feet. We did apply a second coat “wet on wet” as the 10-year-old IPE absorbed the stain quickly. The second coat only took one gallon of stain. We used a stain pad applicator for the entire floor and we finished the two coats in 3 hours. There was no need to back wipe.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 8.5
– The Messmers Exotic Wood Stain did not darken but faded in color. There was a little darkening though from the mold on about 15% of the decking surface.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– The Messmers will need to be cleaned with an Oxygenated Wood Deck Cleaner. This will remove the mold, general dirt, and grime. The use of a wood deck brightener would be beneficial as well.
Overall Score Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods Stain at 1 Year Period: 8.25
– Messmers was the first stain company to develop a stain that is specifically designed to penetrate exotic hardwoods. We expected good results with their stain and we were not disappointed. If you want an IPE/Hardwood Stain that is easy to maintain annually, then Messmers would be a top choice.
Purchasing Info: Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods
Cost: $55.99 per Gallon, $254.99 per 5 Gallon Pail w/Free Delivery
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent – Oil-Based for Hardwoods
Available Colors: Natural, Red Mahogany
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 1 coat for most hardwood decking surfaces
Coverage Per Gallon: 300+ sq. ft for Exotic Hardwoods
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 4-12 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: IPE Hardwood
Deck Square Footage: 650 Square feet
UV Exposure: 60% Shade 40% Sun
How Many Years Tested: 1 Year
Stain Color Used: Red Mahogany
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Deck Stain Help & Questions
- Best Wood Deck Stain
- Oil Based Deck Stain
- Can You Use Thompson Water Seal Over Stained Wood
- Removing Old Stain From Deck
- Can You Stain Pressure Treated Wood Right Away
- What to Use to Clean Deck Before Staining
- Best Solid Deck Stain
- Does Wood Stain Go Bad
- Wood Stain Remover Home Depot
- Best Deck Stain
- Behr Composite Deck Stain Colors
- Olympic Stain Lowes
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.