Messmers UV Plus Wood Stain has been manufactured for over 20 years in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Using a combination of natural oils (linseed) and synthetic oils, Messmers will protect exterior wood with 8 different transparent and semi-transparent colors. The trans-oxides will absorb the UV while preventing oxidation/graying.
Update: Messmers UV Plus Wood Stain
We would love to hear from you if you have used Messmers UV Plus Wood Stain on your wood or deck. Please post a rating in the Consumer Star Ratings below.
If you have any pictures of your experience with Messmers UV Plus Wood Stains, you can add them in the comment area with a detailed description.
Messmers UV Plus Wood Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8
– We choose the Natural color as the manufacturer said it was the most popular. It enhanced the wood grain “naturally” without adding to much pigment or “orange” tones to our redwood decking. The knots of the redwood did dry a little lighter in color compared to the rich tones of the grain.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 7
– Messmers scored lowest in preventing UV graying. About 60% of the original color was left after the 2 plus years. The decking surface was just starting to turn gray. Being that the Natural color we used was light in tint, we would assume that a darker color/tint would achieve better results for UV protection.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 9
– The UV Plus did excellent for wear/tear. This finished absorbed deeply into the wood grain. A small number of worn areas were noticeable around the perimeter of the home from water dripping along the roof edge.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7.5
– For the 500 square foot redwood deck, we used one 5 gallon pail of Messmer’s stain. We applied two coats to the floor surface and one coat to the railings. Cost per square foot to apply was $.36 a square foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 8
– Messmers did well for mold resistance on our test deck. As we mentioned before, there was a line near the perimeter of the home where rain dripping from the roof had washed away the stain. In this area, mold and green algae had begun to grow.
Ease of Application: 8.5
– Application for the Messmers UV Plus was a breeze. The stain was rolled on and back brushed with a pad for the flooring. The stain penetrated into the wood without any issues. For the railings, a plastic pump sprayer was used to apply the Messmers. The stain did not have any issues with clogging or funneling through the sprayer. We did back wipe some drips that formed on the rails and posts.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 7
– We expected that the Messmers would darken in color due to the high elevation of the deck. Past tests with similar brands have proven that high elevations can darken the stain after 2 years. Messmers performed better here than other brands. Any darkening was minimal.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– With a light fading and deep penetration of the stain, the Messmers UV plus should be an easy maintenance stain. A wood cleaner and a wood brightener will prep the wood for another coat.
Overall Score Penofin Ultra Premium at 2 Year Period: 7.88
– Overall we were happy with the Messmers UV Plus wood stain. The natural color of the stain did a beautiful job with our initial appearance of the redwood decking. We would have hoped that the Messmers would have scored better with UV protection. Most likely you would need to reapply every 18 months or so as the Messmers had difficulty achieving UV protection for the two years tested.
If you want a beautiful looking stain that is easy to apply then Messmers would be a great choice.
Where To Buy: Select Stores or Online
Cost: $42.99 per Gallon, $199.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent – Linseed Oil-Based
Available Colors: Natural, Pine/Fir, Cedar, Redwood, Oak Brown, Oxford Brown, Sequoia, Dark Walnut,
Application Temperature: 45-90 F
Coats Required: 1-2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-250 sq. ft
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 4-24 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in All 50 States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Redwood
Deck Square Footage: 500
UV Exposure: Full Sun, High Elevation
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Natural
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.