Updated February 2020
Messmers Deck Cleaner Review 2020
Messmer’s Wood and Deck Cleaner can be used to prepare old, weathered wood for prior to applying a stain, or as part of regular wood care maintenance to keep your deck, fence, log home, or other wood surfaces looking great.
The Messmers Part A Cleaner is a concentrated wood and deck cleaner. Mix one 16oz container into 5 gallons of water.
Messmers Wood Deck Cleaner Rating (1-10)
Removal of Graying, Dirt, Grime: 8
– Messmers Wood Deck Cleaner did a pretty decent job at removing graying and dirt. The cleaner restored the IPE deck back to a natural blond color.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– The Messmers Deck Cleaner comes in a 16 oz container. This is half as much as similar powdered concentrates that come in 32 oz containers. For example, you would need two Messmers ($19.99 x 2 =$39.98) Deck Cleaners to one Defy Wood Cleaner ($24.99). This still makes the Messmers a great buy compared to liquid deck cleaners.
Removal of Old Stain: N/A
– Messmers Wood Deck Cleaner cleans by removing dirt, mold, algae, etc. It will not remove a decking stain.
Ease of Application: 8
– Messmers Wood Deck Cleaner is mixed in warm water. The cleaner dissolves easily into the water and is best applied with a pump sprayer. Once the cleaner is applied to the wood, you wait about 10 minutes, then lightly scrub or pressure wash off.
Final Appearance of Clear: 8
– The IPE was restored to a “like new” appearance.
Overall Score for Messmers Part A Deck Cleaner: 8
– Great wood and deck cleaner. The product is cost-effective when compared to all liquid cleaners but we did find that we needed twice as much cleaner for the 600 sq foot deck compared to Restore-A-Deck products.
More Info: Messmers Part A Cleaner
Product Type: Powdered Concentrate.
Available Sizes: 16 oz. Container
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Scrub Brush, Pump Sprayer
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: IPE Pool Deck
Deck Square Footage: 600
The condition of Deck: Heavily grayed and dirty
How Much Product Used: 2 Part A Cleaners. Retails for $29.99
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.