This post was updated on January 13, 2022
Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain Review 2022
This is our initial Review of the Restore-A-Deck Solid Color Wood and Deck Stain. This review will be updated over the years. As deck restoration contractors, Restore A Deck Solid Color Stain will be our go-to Solid Color Stain for 2022 due to its ease of use, 5 pre-mixed solid colors (the only solid stain on the market that comes pre-mixed), and the ability to prep and stain on the same day.
Note: Restore-A-Deck Wood Stains are the only stain we have tested that can be applied to dry or damp wood. Applying to damp wood allows you the ability to prep and stain on the same day, saving you a tremendous amount of time.
Restore A Deck Solid Color Wood Stain Review
Summary: Restore-A-Deck Solid Color Wood Stain is an extremely durable synthetic-resin, opaque wood finish that helps protect against the damaging effects of water, fungi, and UV radiation on exterior wood surfaces. This V.O.C. compliant water-based product provides exceptional protection for nearly all exterior wood surfaces in a beautiful matte finish.
Restore-A-Deck Wood Stain can be applied the same day as the prep. Make sure that all standing water has dried off the surface after prep. Typically 2-4 hours at 70º F and less than 50% humidity.
Restore-A-Deck Solid Color Wood Stain can be used on interior or exterior horizontal and vertical wood surfaces including wood siding, log homes, decks, fences, outdoor wood furniture, pressure-treated, and all other natural wood surfaces.
Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 10
Note: We used a two-toned deck stain approach for this Restore A Deck Solid Stain Review. This review is for the White Solid color stain that was applied to all verticals. To see our review or the RAD Semi-Transparent Stain, Click Restore A Deck Wood Stain
– The Restore-A-Deck wood stain color we used was the Solid Classic Color in White for the Railings and Semi-transparent Dark Walnut for the Floor. The two coats applied to our PTP wood covered nicely and did not show any wood grain which is expected with a solid stain. Even application and no overlap lines.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 10
–At the 1-year mark, there was no wearing or peeling anywhere on the white verticals.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– We applied two coats to our 350 sq. feet of verticals that included all railings and steps. 2 Gallons were used at a cost of $50 per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– Similar to other water-based solid color deck stains, the Restore-A-Deck Solid Color Stain will not promote the growth of mold or mildew. This is one of the main advantages of using a water-based coating. At the 1-year mark, the deck showed no signs of any mold or mildew.
Ease of Application: 8
– Our favorite aspect of the Restore-A-Deck Wood Solid Color Stain is the ability to stain and prep on the same day. We tested this by cleaning and brightening the wood with the Step 1 and Step 2 Restore A Deck Cleaner/Brightener Kit and then applying the RAD stain 1 hour after the prep. The Restore-A-Deck actually applies easier to damp wood than dry wood. We also found that the coverage was better when applied to damp wood.
We applied both coats of the White RAD Stain with a roller and brush to the wood, waiting about 30 minutes between coats. The second coat goes on very easily and covers twice as far as the first coat. Overall application with the Restore-A-Deck solid stain is very easy. Spreads excellent and easy to work with.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– Clean and reapply as needed using their Step 1 Deck Cleaner and a light pressure washing.
Overall Score Restore-A-Deck Solid Color Stain at 1 Year Period: 8.88
– The Restore-A-Deck is a great Solid Color Stain. It is the only solid stain on the market that comes pre-mixed, making it much easier to choose a color. Restore-A-Deck Wood Stains have allowed the ability to Prep and Stain in the Same Day, giving it a huge advantage over other brands that perform just as well. If you are looking for the future of exterior wood and deck stains, then you should consider the Restore A Deck Solid Color Wood Stain and their prepping systems.
More Info: Restore-A-Deck Solid Color Stain
Cost: $52.99 per Gallon. Products ship free on their website.
Stain Type: Solid Color (Opaque) Wood Stain – Water Based
Available in Pre-Mixed Solid Colors: Classic White, Coastal Gray, Desert Taupe, Cypress, Brown Oak
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-400 sq. ft. Coverage varies on wood age and type of wood.
Application Tools: Airless Sprayer, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
VOC Compliant: 50 VOC Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 350 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 1 Year
Stain Color Used: White
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.