We appreciate your input. If you have used the SW SuperDeck Solid Color Deck stains, feel free to leave a comment below and pictures of your completed projects.
Summary: SuperDeck Solid Color Stain provides durable, opaque protection for many exterior horizontal wood surfaces. Featuring Cool Feel™ Color Technology helps reduce the surface temperature by up to 20°F when compared to conventional color technology.
SuperDeck Solid Color Deck Stain Review
Sherwin Williams SuperDeck Solid Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 9
– The SuperDeck Solid Color Stain was applied with an airless sprayer, roller, and brush. The two coats applied to our decking wood had no issues with appearance when finally finished.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 5
–After 2 years, the SuperDeck Solid Color Stain showed wearing on about 50% of the decking boards. Vertical railings did not have any issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 6
– We applied two coats to our 300 sq. feet of verticals that included all railings and steps. 2 Gallons were used at a cost of $58 per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 10
– At the 2-year mark, the deck showed no signs of any mold or mildew with the SuperDeck Solid Color Stain.
Ease of Application: 6
– The SuperDeck Solid Color Stain does not apply that easy. The solid stain is very thin and coverage was not as good as the solid stains we tested. We really needed to work the stain onto the wood to get the best appearance.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 6
– Sand or strip off the loose stain and reapply 1-2 coats.
Overall Score Sherwin Williams SuperDeck Solid Color Stain at 1 Year Period: 7.0
– We are not a fan of Sherwin Willaims Deck restoration stains and products. Sherwin makes quality house paints has failed numerous times trying to engineer quality deck stains. The product looks and feels like a thin deck paint. Consumer reviews on their website are mixed with many complaining about the coverage and wearing: Sherwin Williams SuperDeck Solid Deck Stain Ratings
More Info: Sherwin Williams
Cost: $57.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Solid Color (Opaque) Wood Stain – Water Based
Available Custom-Mixed Solid Colors: Available with Cool Feel™ Technology in 20 colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-250 sq. ft
Application Tools: Airless Sprayer, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
VOC Compliant: 50 VOC Compliant in all States
Manufacturer: Sherwin Williams
Test Deck Stats
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 300 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Custom Tinted Brown
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.