Sherwin Williams DeckScapes Advanced Waterborne Transparent Stain offers 3 way UV protection for wood by absorbing, blocking and stabilizing the wood fibers. DeskScapes enhances the natural wood grain while preventing mold and mildew.
Note: We used SW’s DeckScapes in their water-based toner formula for our test and review.
Sherwin Williams DeckScapes Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 5
– Sherwin Williams DeckScapes is a water based acrylic formula that created a film on top of the wood after drying. The overall appearance of the redwood color was poor and the stain dried unevenly even though it was applied properly.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 6
– After 2 years the Sherwin Williams DeckScapes lost about 60% of its original color.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 4
– The Sherwin Williams DeckScapes did not hold up well on our full sun test deck. After the second Winter, about 60% of the stain had peeled from the floor. This did not happen in just the high traffic areas but throughout the entire deck.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7
– We used 4 gallons of stain for our 400-foot test deck. 2 Coats of the Sherwin Williams DeckScapes was applied. The cost to stain was around $.35 a foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– The DeckScapes tested very well for preventing mold and mildew. No mold was growing in or on top of the stain. Very small amounts of mold were visible in the wood where the stain had peeled.
Ease of Application: 3
– This stain is not easy to apply. We found that the Deckscapes dried incredibly fast. This made it very difficult to apply the stain as we worried about overlaps. We used a brush and roller with the application and found that the stain did not apply anywhere near the manufacturer coverage rates. We found that the Sherwin Williams DeckScapes closer to 150 feet per gallon.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 8
– Sherwin Williams DeckScapes does not darken in color but fades and peels.
Ease of Reapplication: 4
– Reapplication of the DeckScapes would not be easy. Since the stain had peeled badly you would need to use a heavy stain stripper followed by sanding to remove the stain from the rest of the deck. A light cleaning and re-coat would not work.
Overall Score Defy Extreme Stain at 2 Year Period: 5.75
– We were very disappointed in the Sherwin Williams DeckScapes. Having used SW paints in the past with excellent results, we expected better for their exterior decking stain. The Deckscapes does not apply very well, has a poor appearance when finished and peels.
Where To Buy: Sherwin Williams
Cost: $32.99 per Gallon, $160.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: Natural, Redwood, Cedar
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 125-150 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 24-48 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Manufacturer: Sherwin Williams
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: May 2008
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square Feet
UV Exposure: Full Sun, Western Exposure
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Redwood
*All products tested and results are from our hands-on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.