Sikkens Cetol SRD (Siding Railings Deck) is a high solid 1 coat wood and decking stain. The SRD offers 3-way protection for your exterior wood. Protection from water damage, UV radiation, and Mold. Sikkens SRD penetrates deep into the wood and does not film on top of the wood.
Containing Translucent Iron Oxide Pigments, Sikkens SRD can be used on all unfinished exterior wood.
Sikkens SRD Wood Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 9
– The Sikkens SRD displayed a very nice natural cedar color to the pine dock. We were pleased with the penetration into the wood. Much better than other Sikkens stains that filmed on top of the wood like a varnish.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 6
– At the 2 year mark, Sikkens SRD lost a lot of color after 24 months of full sun exposure. The stain that was left on the dock had either deteriorated away or darkened in color.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 7
– The SRD exhibited bare spots on 30% of the flooring surface after 2 years. The dock exhibited a wear pattern down the middle of the walkway.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– The SRD is priced at $45 a gallon. Coverage per gallons was closer to 200 feet per gallon. We used 6+ gallons for the 1200 sq. feet. This equals $.23 a foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 5
– After 2 years we noticed a lot of black mold growing on the dock. On inspection, we noticed that the mold was imbedded into the stain that was still left on the dock. About 40% of the SRD had this problem.
Ease of Application: 6
– We were not pleased with the application process. Sikkens suggesting brushing the SRD into the wood. We took their advice and use a Wooster Stain Brush. It took close to 8 hours to apply the stain this way. We had many issues with the SRD dripping into the water below the dock creating an oily haze to the water.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 5
– Very poor. The high solids of the SRD stain darkened significantly. The original golden cedar color had turned a dark brown. The addition of the mold made the leftover stain look almost black in color.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 6
– A full stripping of the SRD would be needed. This will ensure that reapplication of a new stain will achieve even color and proper penetration into the wood. Failure to remove/strip will result in the stain darkening even more (where the stain is left) and very light in the bare areas.
Overall Score Sikkens SRD at 2 Year Period: 6.5
– Akzo Nobel is the largest stain manufacturer in the world with Sikkens being the most popular. We hoped that their signature stain would perform better but we were very disappointed with the final results. We are not fans of stains that darken significantly in color. This makes future maintenance much more difficult to perform.
Where To Buy: Commercial Retail Stores
Cost: $45.99 per Gallon, $209.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent Oil-Based
Available Colors: 60 Colors
Application Temperature: 50-95 F
Coats Required: 1 Coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-300 sq. ft
Application Tools: Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 6-25 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in All 50 States
More Info: Product Data
Manufacturer: Akzo Nobel
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: June 2006
Deck Wood Type: Pine Boat Dock
Deck Square Footage: 1200
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Natural Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.