This post was updated on January 18, 2023
THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER REVIEW 2023
We would love to hear from you if you have used THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER. Please post a rating in the Consumer Star Ratings below. Thompson’s WaterSeal has clearly not been a consumer favorite with deck stains or sealers. Mainly as it does not offer any UV protection and it grays in a few months. The Transparent and Semi-Transparent versions are prone to premature peeling and wearing after about 1 year.
Thompsons has 4 different labels for the same stain. They change the name based on the store that carries it but it is the exact same product.
Lowes: THOMPSON’S® WATERSEAL® SIGNATURE SERIES – STAIN & SEALER
Menards: THOMPSON’S® WATERSEAL® TOTAL ALL-IN-ONE STAIN AND SEALER
Walmart: THOMPSON’S® WATERSEAL® WATERPROOFER PLUS TINTED WOOD STAIN
Other Retail Stores: THOMPSON’S® WATERSEAL® WATERPROOFING STAINS
If you have any pictures of your experience with the THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER you can add them in the comment area with a detailed description.
THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER Manufacturer Description
THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER provides ultimate protection from water and sun damage. This innovative, pre-mixed formula is quick and easy to apply with a two-hour dry time and soap and water cleanup. Signature Series All In One Stain and Sealer provides long-lasting, durable protection in just one coat.
Thompsons Deck Stain
THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER RATING (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 7
– THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER looks like thin paint when applied. Very blotchy appearance and it did not cover evenly, every brushstroke and roller mark showed. Water did bead on top of the finish and did not absorb into the wood.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 5
– As far as we can tell, THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER does not prevent UV graying very well. This is a huge disappointment at less than 6 months it started to fail. Not only is there visible flaking but the coating is washing off in areas that are not flaking. There is quite a bit of mold where the coating has come off.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 5
– THOMPSONS WATERSEAL STAIN & SEALER does not soak into the wood but dries on top like a paint. Less than 6 months it started to fail. Not only is there visible flaking but the coating is washing off in areas that are not flaking.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– THOMPSONS STAIN & SEALER is a very inexpensive product to purchase. Unfortunately the saying “you get what you pay for” applies here as the Thompsons Deck Stains does not even last a year.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 3
– After 2 years most of the deck was covered in black mold. It seems that the oils used in THOMPSONS STAIN & SEALER feed and promote the growth of mold spores in the areas where it had failed.
Ease of Application: 5
– Very blotchy appearance and it did not cover evenly, every brushstroke and roller mark showed.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 7
– We would say that Thompson’s® darkens in color since there was a good amount of mold growing in the finish.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 4
– A heavy stripping will be needed to remove the failing stain that is left as you will need to switch to a better brand of stain.
Overall Score THOMPSONS STAIN & SEALER at 2 Year Period: 5.75
– Overall THOMPSONS STAIN & SEALER wood finish is a disappointment. Checkout out the consumer reviews from Thompsons, Lowes, Walmart, and Menards websites. You will read and see that this product does not work well and has consistent issues with failure.
Thompson’s Deck Stain Photo Issues
THOMPSON’S WATERSEAL TRANSPARENT STAIN & SEALER
Cost: $24.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Transparent, Semi-Transparent
Available Colors: 4 Colors: Autumn Brown, Natural Cedar, Honey Gold, Timber Brown
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 1 coat for most scenarios
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-200 Square Feet as Tested
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 48 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine Deck
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Natural Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Deck Stain Help & Questions
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.