Thompson’s® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector is designed for all exterior wood and decking surfaces. This protection includes: Water repellency, prevents water damage, maintains natural wood grain, all while resisting mold growth. Thompson’s® WaterSeal® claim to fame is the ability to waterproof your exterior wood.
We tested the Thompson’s® WaterSeal® in the Clear finish.
Thompson’s® WaterSeal® Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8
– The Thompson’s® WaterSeal® Clear did not alter or change the appearance of the wood. After full drying, we tested the ability to repel water. Water did bead on top of the finish and did not absorb into the wood.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 1
– As far as we can tell, Thompson’s® WaterSeal® does not prevent UV graying at all. This is a huge disappointment as preventing UV graying is the number one reason to stain your exterior wood and decking.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 8
– Thompson’s® WaterSeal® penetrates deep into the wood. There was no peeling or wearing. We would have given it a 10 if the product still repelled water but it did not.
Cost Per Square Foot: 9
– Thompson’s® WaterSeal® is a very inexpensive product to purchase and coverage is exceptional. Unfortunately the saying “you get what you pay for” applies here as the Thompson’s® WaterSeal® offers no UV protection whatsoever.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 1
– After 2 years the entire deck was covered in black mold. It seems that the oils used in Thompson’s® WaterSeal® feed and promotes the growth of mold spores.
Ease of Application: 9
– Since this is a clear product, Thompson’s® WaterSeal® applies extremely easy without the need to back wipe. Just apply with a pump sprayer or stain pad. This finish does not show overlap marks.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 7
– We would say that the Thompson’s® darkens in color since there was a good amount of mold growing in the finish.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 6
– A heavy cleaning would be needed to remove all the graying and mold from the surface.
Overall Score Thompson’s® WaterSeal® at 2 Year Period: 6.125
– Overall Thompson’s® WaterSeal® Clear Plus wood finish is a “clear” disappointment. Any finish that offers zero ability to prevent UV graying should not be considered for your deck or exterior wood.
Cost: $19.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Clear Water Repellent
Available Colors: Clear
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 1 coat for most scenarios
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-300 Square Feet
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 48 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Test Deck Stats:
When Tested: May 2007
Deck Wood Type: Teak Decking
Deck Square Footage: 400 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Clear
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.