Timber Oil Brand is a deep penetrating paraffin oil-based wood and deck stain. This stain dives deep into all exterior wood to condition the wood cells while preventing UV fading and water damage.
TimberOil Brand is strongly suggested by the manufacturer for all new wood. Many wood and deck stains have difficulty with penetrating new exterior wood such as cedar, redwood, and especially pressure treated pine. Timber Oil Brand promises ease of application and proper penetration into new decking.
Note: We tested the TimberOil Brand on a new cedar deck three weeks after installation. Only prepping was a light cleaning to remove the dirt.
TimberOil Brand Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 8
– The Timber Oil Brand looked even on our new cedar test deck. No overlapping or issues were apparent. The Honey Gold color was a rich “wet look”. The railings did not have any drips or runs. Penetration into the wood was 100% with no surface film or oily residue.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 5
– About 50% of the original color was left after 2 years. Wood looked more “natural”.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 8
– Timber Oil Brand had a slight amount of wearing on the railings otherwise, there were no issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7
– We used 6 gallons of the Timber Oil Brand for our cedar deck. The cost was decent per gallon but square footage was a little on the low side. Not bad but average. About $.31 a foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 8
– Paraffin oils do not “feed” mold or mildew growth like other oil-based stains that contain linseed oil. Little to no mold was noticeable on the cedar. A small amount of algae around the railings.
Ease of Application: 10
– Very very nice to apply! We were surprised at the ease of application one the new cedar. We applied the Timber Oil Brand with a garden sprayer then back wiped the excess with a pad applicator. At the time of application, there was puddling under the railings from over spray but this went away once dried.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 9
– No darkening for the Timber Oil Brand. Fades lightly while looking more natural.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 8
– Light cleaning to remove dirt and grime. No need to strip or sand.
Overall Score TimberOil Brand Stain at 2 Year Period: 7.875
– If you have a new deck then Timber Oil Brand would be our top choice. Fades faster than some of the top stains but still lasts the normal benchmark of two years. Ease of application is plus.
Where To Buy: Online Only
Cost: $35.99 per Gallon, $169.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent Paraffin Oil Based
Available Colors: Warm Honey Gold, Western Cedar, Brown Sugar, Amaretto
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 1-2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 150 sq. ft per gallon as tested
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-24 Hours
Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in All 50 States
More Info: Product Data
Manufacturer: Extreme Solutions
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: 1 month old Western Red Cedar Deck
Deck Square Footage: 800
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Warm Honey Gold
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take inconsideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.