This post was updated on May 2, 2022
Using a Solid Color Deck Stain 2022
There are many different types of coatings when dealing with decking stains. Before searching for a deck stain, you should determine the look you want. Some stains (solid colors) will completely hide the wood grain similar to paint. When is the best time for a solid color opaque deck stain? This article will help with this topic.
It is important first to understand the different opacity levels of deck stains.
Semi-Transparent Deck Stains – A semi-transparent deck stain allows most of the wood’s natural color to show through will soaking into the wood grain.
Semi-Solid Deck Stains – Most semi-solid deck stains will almost completely hide the wood grain and natural color.
Solid or Opaque Decking Stains – These types of wood stains hide the grain completely and provide the most UV protection. Solid color stains will “film” on top of the wood, masking the grain while looking like paint. It should be noted that solid color deck stains are harder and normally more expensive to maintain.
So when is it best to use a Solid Color Deck Stain? Here are a few scenarios:
- Two-Toned Decks. The use of a solid stain only on the verticals and a semi-transparent for the floors. See this article for tips: Why Have a Two-Toned Deck
- Your Deck is already coated with a Solid Stain. See here for a list of the Best Solid Color Deck Stains
- Your deck is really old and on its last legs requiring a solid coating to hide all the imperfections.
- You like the solid color look! Many people prefer to have a solid color look for their deck. If that is what you are looking for, make sure to use one of the best brands. Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain is our go-to solid stain as deck restoration contractors.
Best Solid Color Deck Stain Photos
The Best Solid Color Deck Stain Video – DeckStainHelp.com
Any Questions on Solid Color Deck Stains? Ask Below!
Deck Stain Help & Questions
- Can You Stain Pressure Treated Wood Right Away
- Cleaning Wood With Bleach and Water
- Home Depot Outdoor Stain
- What to Use to Clean Deck Before Staining
- When to Stain a Deck
- Best Water Based Stain
- Sand Deck Before Staining
- Clear Deck Sealer
- Wood Deck Brightener
- IPE Stain Colors
- Deck Stain Before and After
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.