Wolman™ DuraStain Semi-Transparent Stain protects new and older decking/wood from UV radiation, mold growth, and rotting.
Beautifies wood with a richly pigmented, semi-transparent, matte finish while providing durability and prolonged color retention. Retains color longer than traditional semi-transparent stains. Ideal for wood exposed to the severe sun.
Wolman™ DuraStain Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 3
– When applied the Wolman™ DuraStain looks very unnatural. The stain sits on top of the wood similar to a paint or solid deck stain. It actually looks like paint with just a small amount of transparency. The Natural Redwood color that used masked the wood grain instead of enhancing the wood grain.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 9
– Wolman™ DuraStain does an excellent job of preventing graying. We attribute this to the overall appearance of the stain. This product looks very close to a solid color stain. Lots of pigment means excellent UV protection. There was little to no graying of the stain that was still left on the deck. The areas that peeled (see below) had turned gray since the wood was bare.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 3
– We were not impressed with the Wolman™ DuraStain when it came to preventing peeling at the two-year mark. When a stain does not penetrate into the wood but rather “films” on top of the wood then the chance for peeling is greatly enhanced. The Wolman had peeled on 30% of the flooring.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7
– Wolman™ DuraStain retails for $29.99 a gallon. We applied two coats to the 650 square foot deck using a total of 8 gallons of stain costing a total of $240.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– Zero mildew on the deck stain. A small amount of green algae was present in the wood where the Wolman had peeled. Very good results as we would expect with a water-based stain.
Ease of Application: 4
– The Wolman™ DuraStain does not apply with a pump sprayer. The stain is very thick, like paint. We tried a stain pad and had issues with the application. We ended up rolling and brushing the stain. The first coat was very uneven as we found that the stain dries extremely fast and overlaps. We decided that a second coat was needed to even the appearance. The second application applied much easier and did help even out the coating. The second coat heavily masked the transparency of the wood grain.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 9
– No darkening of the stain was apparent after the two years of testing.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 5
– Preparation for reapplication would depend on if you want to remove the stain and start over with a different product or stay with the Wolman™ DuraStain. If switching brands of stain, the DuraStain would need to be removed by stripping and heavy sanding. Very labor intensive! If re-coating with the DuraStain, then a good thorough cleaning should be sufficient.
Overall Score Wolman™ DuraStain at 2 Year Period: 6.125
– Wolman™ DuraStain is very good at UV protection, mold resistance and color shifting (lack of darkening). What we did not like is the way the DuraStain creates a film on the surface like paint. This caused the non-transparent look to the wood grain and increased the probability of peeling. We would rate this stain as a semi-solid, not a semi-transparent stain.
If you are looking for a natural looking wood decking stain then the Wolman™ DuraStain would not be a good choice.
Where To Buy: Paint and Hardware Store or Online
Cost: $34.99 per Gallon
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: Natural Cedar, Natural Redwood, Woodland Brown, Chestnut Brown, Cape Cod Gray, Sea Shore Gray
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 1 Coat. 2nd coat if needed can be applied 72 hours after the first coat.
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-200 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Airless Sprayer, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 6-12 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
More Info: Product Data
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Pine Dock
Deck Square Footage: 650 Square Foot Deck
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Natural Redwood
*All products tested and results are from our hands-on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.