Old wooden deck rai...

Notifications
Clear all

Old wooden deck railings. Need to be coated over, advice?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@t1snwbrdr12)
Topic starter  

My deck floors and horizontal surfaces (rail caps) are new. Dried out now and ready for staining. My question is for my old railings / ballausters...they are coated in what seems to be a cheap stain that did not penetrate. I had Behr on another deck and it seems like that to me. I tried stripping it last year and got one post done after far too much hassle. Figure I’m better off covering it, as it’ll never match the new wood anyway. 

Will a solid stain adhere to this after sanding the worse areas and washing the whole deck and railing?  Do I need to prime first before solid stain?  Should I just paint it instead?  What product would be best?

i was leaking to towards flood but when I was at PPG they seemed concerned that it wouldn’t adhere. 

Sherwin Williams is attractive right now because it’s 40% off weekend but seems to have mixed reviews as far as their solid stains go. 

Scott Paul ~ Restoring Wood & Decks Since 1993
(@administrator)
Member Admin

A solid stain would be best for these railings. Prep with pressure washing. No need to prime. Use the Flood Solid stains.

ReplyQuote
Share: