Update for 2019: This is our initial Review of the Flood Pro Series Solid Color Wood and Deck Stain. This review will be updated throughout the years. As contractors, we have been using the Flood Pro Series as one of our top solid stain choices for the last 10 years when a solid stain is needed over a semi-transparent. There are new and better brands of solid stains coming into the market, but the Flood is a decent choice.
We appreciate your input. If you have used the Flood Solid Color Deck stains, feel free to leave a comment below and pictures of your completed projects.
Flood Pro Series Solid Color Stain Review
Summary: Flood Pro Series Solid Color Stain is an advanced stain and sealant in one that protects wood from moisture and sun damage while adding rich, opaque color. 100% acrylic formula provides excellent adhesion and durability. Urethane-fortified to resist cracking and peeling. Rain resistant finish within 12 hours. Powerful UV absorbers protect against fading and UV damage. Provides a mildew-resistant finish.
Flood Solid Deck Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 9
– We used the Flood Pro Series Solid Color Stain in white. Very easy to apply and the overall appearance when dry was excellent with a nice matte opaque look.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 7
–After 2 years, there was a small amount of wear on the floors but no peeling.
Cost Per Square Foot: 8
– We applied two coats to our 450 sq. feet of verticals that included all railings and steps. 4 Gallons were used at a cost of $46 per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 9
– A small amount of mildew was present under the tree but overall, there were not any issues with mildew, algae or mold.
Ease of Application: 8
– We like how the Flood Pro Series Solid Color Stain applies and adheres to the wood. We always use a roller and brush when applying. Dries fast and can take moderate rain in a few hours.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 7
– Clean by pressure washing and a deck cleaner. Reapply 1-2 coats or as much as needed.
Overall Score Flood Pro Series Solid Color Stain at 1 Year Period: 8.0
– Flood has always made a better than average solid color deck stain. We have been using it for 10+ years and have not seen any degradation in performance. It is one of our top solid stain brands, with just a slightly lower score than the Restore-A-Deck Solid Stain.
Where to Buy: Select Higher End Paint Stores
Cost: $45.99 per Gallon, $119.99 per 2.5 Gallon Pail, $199.99 per 5 Gallon Pail. Products ship free on their website.
Stain Type: Solid Color (Opaque) Wood Stain – Water Based
Available Custom-Mixed Solid Colors: Tintable to over 120 colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 250-350 sq. ft
Application Tools: Airless Sprayer, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 2-4 Hours
VOC Compliant: 50 VOC Compliant in all States
Manufacturer: Flood – PPG
Test Deck Stats
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 450 Square feet
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: White
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.