This post was updated on January 19, 2022
Update: Defy Wood Deck Cleaner Review for 2022
We would love to hear from you if you have used the Defy Wood Deck Cleaner on your wood or deck. Please post a rating in the Consumer Star Ratings below.
If you have any pictures of your experience with Defy Wood Deck Cleaner, you can add them in the comment area with a detailed description.
Defy Wood Deck Cleaner is a safe alternative to chlorine bleach-based cleaners. Defy Wood Cleaner is highly effective at removing general dirt, grime, and UV graying while restoring the wood’s natural color tones. Environmentally safe, powdered, oxygen-based concentrate that makes 5 liquid gallons per container.
Defy Wood Cleaner should be used with the Defy Wood Brightener for maximum preparation.
Defy Wood Deck Cleaner Scores (1-10)
Removal of Graying, Dirt, Grime: 9
– The Defy Wood Cleaner did an excellent job of prepping the wood by removing all of the dirt and mold. The test deck had not been maintained for 6 years so the graying of the wood cells was extensive. The Defy Cleaner did a better than average job at softening these grayed wood cells so that a stiff scrubbing removed them from the deck surface.
Cost Per Square Foot: 9
– How can you complain about spending only $35 to clean a 750 square foot deck? That is $.05 a square foot. A bargain compared to liquid packaged cleaners.
Removal of Old Stain: N/A
– Defy Wood Cleaner is designed to prep decking by removing graying, dirt, mold, and grime. It will not remove old stains unless the stain is extremely deteriorated.
Ease of Application: 8
– Defy Wood Cleaner is packaged in a powdered formula. We mixed the entire 2.25-pound container into 5 gallons of warm water. The powdered dissolved rather easily into the water. We noticed a “bubbling” effect when we applied the cleaner to the decking. This “lifted” the dirt/graying, making the scrubbing and rinsing very simple. Make sure to thoroughly rinse the wood while the surface is still wet to remove all of the wood fibers.
Final Appearance of Cleaning: 8
– Very clean throughout the decking area when done. After we applied the Defy Wood Brightener, the overall appearance was even better
Overall Score for Defy Wood Deck Cleaner: 8.5
– Defy Wood Deck Cleaner is a great and inexpensive way to prep your wood prior to an application of a stain!
Where To Buy: Select Stores or Online
Product Type: Powdered Concentrate
Available Sizes: 2 Pound Container Makes 5 Liquid Gallons
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Scrub Brush, Pump Sprayer
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine
Deck Square Footage: 750
The condition of Deck: Gray and dirty
How Much Product Used: One 2.25 Pound Container. Retails for $35.99
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Deck Stain Help & Questions
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
Products & Brands
- Olympic Deck Stain Colors
- Cabot Solid Deck Stain
- Staining Fence Without Cleaning
- Sherwin Williams Oil Based Stain
- Cabot Problem Solver Wood Cleaner
- Wolman Deck Stain
- One Time Wood Protector
- Behr Deck Stain
- Valspar Stain Colors
- Behr Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish
- Pittsburgh Paramount Stain
- PPG Stain Colors
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.