Update 2019: Defy Stain Stripper Review
We would love to hear from you if you have used the Defy Stain Stripper. Please post a rating in the Consumer Star Ratings below. If you have any pictures of your experience with the Defy Stain Stripper, you can add them in the comment area with a detailed description.
Defy Exterior Wood and Deck Stripper is designed to remove transparent and semi-transparent exterior wood and decking stains. Defy Stripper is a biodegradable deck stain remover that restores the wood to a like new appearance that will work on both water-based and oil-based stains.
Defy Wood Brightener is needed to neutralize after using the stripper
Defy Stain Stripper Scores (1-10)
Removal of Graying, Dirt, Grime: 9
– Defy Stain Stripper removes general dirt and graying with relative ease. The deep penetration of the stripper softens the dirt and grime so it can easily be rinsed from the wood.
Cost Per Square Foot: 7
– We used 4 gallons of Defy Stain Stripper for the 600 square foot deck. The cost for the 4 gallons was $80, or $.13 per foot. This is average for a stain stripper. Better than most liquid gallons but much more than a powder concentrate.
Removal of Old Stain: 9
– Defy Stain Stripper had no problem with removing the two-year-old TWP stain. It softened the stain to the point that light scrubbing would remove the finish. On the first pass with the stripper, more than 90% of the old stain was removed. Spot treating the rest proved effective for 100% removal.
Ease of Application: 8
– The Defy Stain Stripper comes premixed and is not to be diluted. We took precautions by wearing protective clothing, gloves, and eyewear. The stripper was applied with a garden pump sprayer, sat for 15 minutes, scrubbed, then high pressure rinsed off.
Final Appearance of Stripping: 9
– The cedar wood had retained 90% of its natural color after the Defy Stain Stripper and Defy Wood Brightener.
Overall Score Defy Stain Stripper: 8.25
– Excellent deck stain stripper. Defy Stain Stripper would be a solid choice for a residential homeowner who is looking to remove a failed deck stain.
Where To Buy: Select Stores and Online
Product Type: Liquid Wood Deck Stain Stripper
Available Sizes: 1 Gallon
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Scrub Brush, Pump Sprayer
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Cedar
Deck Square Footage: 600
The condition of Deck: 2-year-old TWP Stain was removed
How Much Product Used: 4 Gallons. Retails for $19.99 a gallon
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.