This post was updated on January 19, 2022
Note for 2022: Rust-Oleum bought Synta Deck Restore in 2012. It is now called Rust-Oleum Deck Restore or Rust-Oleum Rock Solid.
Deck Restore™ is the smart alternative to deck replacement. It revives and protects wood surfaces such as wood and composite decking, stairs, docks and more.
Deck Restore™ is water-based, low odor and fills up to 1/4” cracks.
Synta’s Deck Restore is designed to “mask” the wood. It will not show the wood grain. Promoted as a product for wood that is beyond conventional restoration.
Note: Class Action Lawsuit has been filed against Rust-Oleum Restore 10x: See HereSynta Rust-Oleum Restore Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 5
– Synta Restore is basically a very thick paint that is designed to mask the wood and fill any large cracks and voids. To us, it looked very fake on the pressure-treated deck. We also noticed that the finish (after full drying) is very hot to the touch when exposed to direct sunlight. To the point that you would not be able to walk on the surface with bare feet.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 10
– Being a solid non-translucent product, the (Rust-Oleum) Restore does not show any signs of UV fading. This is normal for solid stains and paints.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 7
– Synta (Rust-Oleum) Restore showed some wearing in the high traffic areas and between the decking boards. It seems that the (Rust-Oleum) Restore did not adhere to the boards as the finish curled up here.
Cost Per Square Foot: 1
– Horrible. We needed 10 of the (Rust-Oleum) Restore 2 gallon kits. That is $600 for a 600 sq. foot deck or $1 per foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 10
– Synta (Rust-Oleum) Restore should zero mold or algae on deck.
Ease of Application: 2
– Very difficult to apply. We used the supplied roller and a heavy-duty brush for back wiping and to get between the floorboards. We followed all the supplied directions. The entire project for the two required coats took 12 hours to perform with 2 people. We had issues getting the stain to apply evenly and between the deck boards. Full curing for the Synta Restore can take up to 3 weeks.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 10
– It did not darken or attract dirt.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 5
– Heavy scraping to remove the peeling stain would be required prior to applying another coat. Conversations with the manufacturer on product failure were difficult. Basically, they blamed the peeling on poor prepping of the wood even though we followed their online instructions.
Overall Score Rust-Oleum Restore Solid Acrylic Stain at 2 Year Period: 6.25
– We are not a fan of this product. Basically, a “thick” paint that performs about the same as any other solid color deck stain. Doing some research online and you will find there are more unhappy customers out there than satisfied customers. Appearance is poor, the application is difficult, and the cost per foot is horrible. To be fair, the Synta Restore did score extremely well in UV fading and preventing mold.
Rust-Oleum Rock Solid (Deck Restore) Customer Photo Issues
Where To Buy: Big Box Stores, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc
Cost: $59.99 per 2 Gallon Kit
Stain Type: Acrylic Solid Stain – Water Based
Available Colors: 20 different colors
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats.
Coverage Per Gallon: 100 sq. ft per 2-gallon kit for 1 coat. Need 2 coats for best performance.
Application Tools: Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 8-24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Pressure Treated Pine Dock
Deck Square Footage: 600 Square feet
UV Exposure: Southern exposure. Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
Update Spring of 2022
Please read our article on Gulf Synthetics Deck Revive Review We believe this product has real value if looking for these product types that actually work.
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Rust-Oleum Rock Solid (Deck Restore)Video Review
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.