This post was updated on January 18, 2023
Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Stain Semi-Transparent Review
The Pittsburgh Paramount Stain was introduced in Menards in the last couple of years. The product is actually the exact same thing as the Olympic ELITE Advanced Stain + Sealant in One (Lowes) and the PPG Timeless, just relabeled for Menards use. They have two versions of the stain at a different price point. The Paramount and the Ultra. Pittsburgh tried to discern the two by saying one will last longer but in reality, neither of these stains will last more than 1-2 years. This is their acrylic water-based version.
Pittsburgh Paramount Deck Stain
Reveal and protect the true beauty of your wood with Pittsburgh Paints & Stains Paramount advanced stain and sealant in one. Its Color-enhanced technology provides UV protection allowing the stain to retain its richness and beauty longer. Paramount exterior wood stain also offers waterproofing protection, mildew resistance, and urethane fortified resins, creating the most durable protection for your wood. Simply our best with lifetime results guaranteed.
Pittsburgh Paints & Stains Paramount exterior wood stain and sealant semi-transparent/semi-solid offers one product in two beautiful choices. Semi-transparent provides subtle color to enrich wood’s natural grain. Semi-solid provides the same rich color but more hide for wood with imperfections. It delivers extreme weather protection & durability and a rich, penetrating color. It is available in 14 beautiful, long-lasting colors.
Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain Sealant in One Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 6
– Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain + sealer in one. We used a cedar color The appearance of the final stain finish was an orange-brown color that did not seem to enhance the beauty of the wood as well as we had expected. The Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain did penetrate very well and did form a film on top of the wood.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 7
–At the 2-year test mark, Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain did hold up pretty decent with an estimated 70% color retention. Some fading and graying were noticed in traffic areas.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 6
–As mentioned the Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain did show signs of fading and a little peeling. Most of the fading and wearing was on the horizontal surface like the tops of the handrails and deck flooring. There were almost bare areas with no stain left in the high traffic sections of the deck.
Cost Per Square Foot: 6
– It took 4 gallons total of Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain to coat the entire 600 square foot deck. The manufacturer claims 250-350 square feet per gallon but we experienced closer to 150-200 feet per gallon.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 7.5
– Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain plus Sealer provided an average mildew-resistant coating and did an okay job at preventing fungal growth.
Ease of Application: 7.5
– The Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain was average to apply. We did a one-coat application using a stain pad and did not get great coverage. We did not notice any overlap marks when finished.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 7
– At the 2-year mark, we did notice some darkening due to mildew but the Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain did lighten up on 90% of the deck.
The Difficulty of Reapplication: 7
– We did have to strip the old stain off due to bare wood and graying showing in high traffic areas and lightening of the stain in other areas.
Overall Score Pittsburgh Paramount Stain at 2 Year Period: 7.0
– The Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain + Sealant was an average score overall. The stain did hold up fairly well except in high traffic areas and some mildew was present. We were not overly happy with the coverage rates and will have to strip the stain off prior to recoating to remove the mildew.
Pittsburgh Paramount Deck Stain Photos
Where To Buy: Menards
Cost: $43.99 per Gallon for Paramount. $35.99 for Ultra.
Stain Type: Semi-Transparent and Semi-Solid Water-Based
Available Colors: 14 Colors. Custom Mixed.
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coats Required: 1-2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 150-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller – Back brush as needed.
Dry Time: 24 Hours
VOC Compliant: 25 Compliant
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Cedar
Deck Square Footage: 500
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.</em
Deck Stain Help & Questions
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.