This post was updated on January 30, 2023
This is our 2nd Review of BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Waterproofing Stain & Sealer.
See here for our first Review: Behr Deck Stain Review
BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Waterproofing Stain & Sealer
Behr Premium Deck Stain Manufacturer Description
Enhance your wood’s natural patterns while providing increased protection from the elements. This 100% acrylic formula seals out the elements, and the sun’s harmful UV rays, for up to 6 yrs. on decks and up to 8 yrs. on fences & siding. It’s available in 60 custom colors to help you create a look that’s as beautiful as it is durable.
BEHR’s best semi-transparent product, this advanced 100% acrylic formula penetrates deep into the wood to deliver complete protection from the elements for up to 6 years on decks and 8 years on fences and siding. The silicone-fortified formula delivers excellent protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Wood Stain is available in 60 custom colors that add beauty while allowing the natural wood grain to show through. The alkyd/acrylic formula combines the benefits of an oil-based finish and the convenient clean up of a water-based product.
BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Waterproofing Stain & Sealer Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 2
– The application of the Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain was a repeat of our first test. We found that the Behr does not penetrate into the wood like the product claims it should. It dries on top of the surface like paint. It had the look of a semi-solid with much of the wood grain masked by the pigment. The Cedar color on the deck made it look like a pumpkin.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 8
– The one positive about the Behr is that it has excellent UV protection in the areas where the stain had not failed. Unfortunately, this was only half of the deck floor and most of the railings.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 1
– The cedar porch was “Behr” of stain on more than half of the flooring. The stain had peeled or worn in large uneven patches. Vertical rails did not have any issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 4
– Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain costs $39 per gallon. We used 5 gallons for the 300 square feet for the 2 coats applied.
$.55 per foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 7
– Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain had some mold growing on the flooring near the home and on top of the rail cap.
Ease of Application: 2
– Applying the Behr Premium Stain is like painting your deck except it does not apply evenly. We have stained 1000’s of decks and have never found a stain to be more difficult to apply than Behr. It dries extremely fast and will show overlaps if not careful. We used a paintbrush and hand-applied the stain to the entire deck as that seemed to give the best results.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 8
– Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain does not darken in color much or at all.
Difficulty of Reapplication: 2
– This is how we fixed the Behr Premium Wood Stain. We applied a heavy dose of the Behr Stain Remover and tried to pressure wash off the remaining stain. It did not work. We then used the RAD Stain Stripper at a very high concentration and repeated. This removed about 85% of the stain. We were left sanding off the rest then cleaning and brightening the wood to even out the porosity of the wood. Prepping took 12 hours and needless to say, the customer switched brands.
Overall Score Behr Premium Stain at 2 Year Period: 4.625
– Rated #1 By Consumers. Not sure why and feedback from most of our users agree. Consumer Reports own website has a user rating of 1 out of 5 stars. Thirteen out of the 14 reviews from actual users gave it a 1 star.
This stain should be removed from sale to the public.
Behr Deck Stain Home Depot
Where To Buy: Home Depot
Cost: $39.99 per Gallon, $199.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Premium Semi-Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: 60 custom colors
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 125-150 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 1-2 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Cedar Porch
Deck Square Footage: 300 Square Feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our hands-on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
BEHR Semi-Transparent Deck Stain Photos
BEHR Semi-Transparent Deck Stain
Disgruntled Behr Customer
Deck Stain Help & Questions
Stain Reviews & Comparisons
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior wood and deck restoration. Scott and his Deck Cleaning Michigan company have restored over 10,000 decks in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the deck restoration industry and has contributed to numerous wood restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.