Important Note: This is our 3rd Review of Behr Premium Exterior Weatherproofing Wood and Deck Stains. The BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish and the BEHR DECKplus Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish are essentially the same product but at a different price point and at 3 stocked pre-mixed colors. These are re-labeled “Transparent” products of the Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Weather Proofing Wood Stain that we review prior. Same product and same performance, just a different label and in a transparent tone. This review will have the same ratings as our last Behr Deck Premium Stain Review.
See here for our first Review: Behr Premium Deck Stain Review
BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Stain
Behr Deck Stain Manufacturer Description
Give wood the ultimate in protection with BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Weatherproofing All-In-One Wood Finish. This 100% acrylic formula seals out the elements and the sun’s harmful UV rays, for up to 4 yrs. on decks and up to 6 yrs.on fences and siding. It’s available in 3 pre-mixed colors as well as 6 custom colors so you can get the look you want while preserving your valuable investment.
Best for use in
For properly prepared new to slightly weathered, unsealed exterior wood surfaces (0-5 years exposure) such as: Decks, Railings, Shakes, Shingles, Siding, Roofs, Fences, and Wood Patio Furniture.
BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish Stain Scores (1-10)
Appearance After Initial Stain Application: 2
– The application of the BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish was a repeat of our first test. We found that the Behr does not penetrate into the wood like the product claims it should. It dries on top of the surface like paint. It had the look of a semi-solid with much of the wood grain masked by the pigment. The Cedar color on the deck made it look like a pumpkin.
Preventing UV Graying at 2 Year Mark: 8
– The one positive about the BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish is that it has excellent UV protection in the areas where the stain had not failed. Unfortunately, this was only half of the deck floor and most of the railings.
Wear/Tear and Peeling: 1
– The cedar porch was “Behr” of stain on more than half of the flooring. The stain had peeled or worn in large uneven patches. Vertical rails did not have any issues.
Cost Per Square Foot: 4
– BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish costs $35 per gallon. We used 5 gallons for the 300 square feet for the 2 coats applied.
$.55 per foot.
Preventing Mold/Mildew/Algae: 7
– BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish had some mold growing on the flooring near the home and on top of the rail cap.
Ease of Application: 2
– Applying the BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish is like painting your deck except it does not apply evenly. We have stained 1000’s of decks and have never found a stain to be more difficult to apply than Behr. It dries extremely fast and will show overlaps if not careful. We used a paintbrush and hand-applied the stain to the entire deck as that seemed to give the best results.
Color Shifting (darkening) after 2 Years: 8
– Behr Premium Weatherproofing Stain does not darken in color much or at all.
The difficulty of Reapplication: 2
– This is how we fixed the BEHR PREMIUM Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish. We applied a heavy dose of the Behr Stain Remover and tried to pressure wash off the remaining stain. It did not work. We then used the RAD Stain Stripper at a very high concentration and repeated. This removed about 85% of the stain. We were left sanding off the rest then cleaning and brightening the wood to even out the porosity of the wood. Prepping took 12 hours and needless to say, the customer switched brands.
Overall Score Behr Premium Stain at 2 Year Period: 4.625
– Rated tops By Consumers. Not sure why and feedback from most of our users agree. Consumers Reports own website has a user rating of 1 out of 5 stars. Thirteen out of the 14 reviews from actual users gave it a 1 star.
This stain should be removed from sale to the public.
BEHR PREMIUM Wood Stain
Where To Buy: Home Depot
Cost: $34.99 per Gallon, $169.99 per 5 Gallon Pail
Stain Type: Premium Semi-Transparent – Water Based
Available Colors: 3 Stocked pre-mixed colors
Application Temperature: 40-90 F
Coats Required: 2 Coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 125-150 sq. ft in field tests
Application Tools: Sprayer, Pad, Brush, Roller
Dry Time: 1-2 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: 250 Compliant in all States
Test Deck Stats:
Deck Wood Type: Cedar Porch
Deck Square Footage: 300 Square Feet
UV Exposure: Full sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
Stain Color Used: Cedar
*All products tested and results are from our hands-on experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ widely due to different wood types, exposure to UV radiation, and natural weathering.
Disgruntled Behr Customer